Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

They were in the common area, eating breakfast when Tris walked up. Madison and Felicia stood, embracing her with hugs and kisses. People stared, baffled by their unique relationship but made not snicker or comment.

"I will be back in thirty," Patrick said and walked off.

Tris pulled her brother into a hug and even Christy. Jeff fist bumped her and Jacob nodded. It surprised Tris to find Brennon coming over to hug her. Her mouth might have hug open.

"I'm glad you aren't hurt. Mom would be sad. And, I guess I would too," Brennon said with a small smile.

Tris would take that. She smirked. "I missed you too."

Madison's cheeks flushed. Tris sat in between Felicia and Madison, brushing a kiss over Madison's cheek and squeezing Felicia's thigh. "Let's eat. We'll need it."

*

Madison

There was about twenty individuals waiting int the training room. The training room was where the football teams would go to warm up before their actual game. It was indoors but padded floors. Weights and treadmills were lined to the side.

They stood as Madison and the rest walked in. They were untrusting of safety, not leaving the kids alone. Madison turned, staring off to Brennon and Jacob.

"I'll wait outside with them," Christy offered.

"No," Brennon said. "I want to learn."

That actually made Madison smile, relief settling in. The sooner she learned to protect herself from zombies and other humans, the more relaxed Madison would feel. Never completely, but better able to breathe. "Okay." She pointed to the few chairs. "You two sit there for now."

"We aren't allowing kids to go on this mission. I understand your need to keep your eye on them." Justice stood adamant on that.

"And they won't," Madison said. "She'd never want to put her daughter in that high risk of danger. "But she will learn how to protect herself and go through the training."

"Fair enough." Justice nodded.

"This is where we train?" Patrick announced.

Tris snorted. "To do what? Run a marathon." The few people around frowned. Before she pissed anyone off, she held her hand out. "Look. I get it. We need to be able to run when its needed and climb. Cardio is important. But...we won't be training in here."

"Then where?" One of the strangers narrowed their eyes at Tris. She looked annoyed having a new stranger tell them what to do.

Justice cut in. "Before we go any further. Let me explain something." He had everyone's attention. "We need water. And are lacking in other resources. We have a building filled with things we need. But it's also filled with over a hundred to perhaps two hundred zombies."

"Fuck me," a man with blonde hair grimaced.

"Exactly." Justice sighed. "We need in."

The woman who spoke a moment ago pointed to Madison and her family. "Why do we need them? They barely got here."

"Elene. We-"

Madison stepped up. "Let us explain," she told Justice. He nodded, smiling. He liked when someone can stand for themselves. "Since the moment the flu started, we've been out there. Seen things. Witness how low people could get when faced with darkness. Handles herds."

"We aren't here to take anyone roles. Belittle your positions. Felicia held kind eyes, making everyone relax. "I've learned to toughing up, being out there. We need you. We need a place of security. And you need us. Because we are the best at working together and getting out of dangerous situations."