Vocal for Vocabulary!

Vocabulary is quite an interesting topic... Or maybe that's just me?

There's not a whole lot to know, but there are topics and "rules" that can be helpful within the writing process.

So... how gain you gain a much higher vocabulary list? The dictionary, or what I like to call... Google. But here's the thing: looking for a word and using it is different than understanding what the word means and knowing when you could use it. Just because there are synonyms, doesn't mean it means the same exact thing.

For example: "said" isn't the same as "articulated."

Say ... when someone speaks, conveying information, an opinion, instruction, feeling, or intention.

Articulate ... express an idea or feeling fluently and coherently.

It would be best to not use "articulate" for a replacement of "said" unless otherwise. When you look for words, don't just look for a synonym. Look for the definition and see if it fits with the context of your sentence.

It's true that a large vocabulary helps make your story stronger and intelligent, but just because your story has words like "charisma," "paradox," "accolade," "adamant," "embezzlement," and "pulchritude," doesn't mean it makes it better. Sometimes, simple language is better, especially if your story depends on the character. If your character isn't a genius, they shouldn't be talking as if they are one. If you do this, it will sound forced. Which is why I said using simple vocabulary is fine.

Now, I'm not a professional at this. I'm improving my own vocabulary as I go along. When I try to improve, I change the word if the original is used too often or if I'm trying to say something in a more "sophisticated" way but has the same meaning. Here's an example from my current work: "I shrugged off the creepy chills that slithered down my spine and keptan eye open for any clues." I used the word slithered  in this because it had a nicer ring to it. Otherwise, the simple way to say it would be: "I shrugged off the creepy chills that ran down my spine..."

As I've probably repeated before, it's not about using a word to make you sound smarter. It's about using the right word for your audience, for your reader. It's about using the right word that fits the context, character, and situation.

On your first draft, don't try to make it sound perfect. First drafts aren't perfect. So write what is needed and then on your revision drafts, you can look for better words and better ways to phrase your sentences.

Two other ways to help improve:

READ.

It's simple to say, but reading helps you build a larger vocabulary in many ways. You can see all the sorts of words the author uses and in what context. If you don't understand a word, highlight it (or mark it with something else) and then learn about the word. You can form your own list of words to use in your own stories.

TRY WORD GAMES.

Personally, I enjoy word searches. You can find an app on your phone or buy a book of word searches for a dollar at a dollar/thrift store. It can help because many of the words, you may not even know about. You can look at one and say, "What the heck does that mean?" You can always look it up later.