Should You Use Sounds?

When I read amateur work (beginners), I usually see them writing sounds in the book. For instance, instead of them describing or even saying how the school bell had rung, they go: "Ring, ring, ring."

I usually tell people not to do that. It's better to describe.

But should you use sounds? My answer? No.

Not that it's a personal thing, it's more on the professional side. Here, let me explain.

When you're using sounds, it takes away that feeling of being stuck in the book. It makes the reader know that you don't exactly know the in's and out's of writing. And it shows how amateur you are. Using sounds is not only annoying for readers, but it does the book no justice.

You're basically telling in a sense, and not only that, but sometimes, it's wrong. I mean, I read a book where the character was cooking and the oven did a: "Ding!" I don't know about your oven, but my oven (when I had one... lol, at least) did not ding at all. In fact, it didn't even make a sound unless it was on the stove (such as boiling water or sizzling food). I had to do a timer on either the microwave or on my iPod to make sure the food didn't burn. Although, sometimes, it was bad anyway. Yeah, my oven was sucky.

But it's best to describe the scene and to describe the sounds instead of telling us the sound. So here's a good description of the "ring, ring, ring," sound of the school bell:

Once she got to the top of the stairs, she raised her right foot and accidentally tripped as it caught onto her long skirt that went all the way down to the floor. Her knees hit the tiled ground and everything in her arms fell out. Karen gave an sad, irritated sigh. All she wanted to do was get to class early on her first day, but that didn't happen.

She had to be clumsy.

Karen looked around, now realizing that she was the only one. She bent down, her forehead touching her binder, and she silently sobbed. What was the point anyway of hurrying now? She was already late.

Just then, the annoying school bell that everyone hated in the morning - that sounded like a child screaming non-stop in your ear - came on.

This is going to be a long day, she thought.