How to Write a Teen Fiction Book

What is Teen Fiction? Teen Fiction includes stories that are aimed at young adults and teens. Teen Fiction is often about teenagers and set in high schools, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes, Teen Fiction describes the challenges faced by young people and the challenges of growing up.

I've most likely said this dozens of times before, but go for a story that seems unique. That doesn't seem like any other story out there. If you want to make it a cliche, such as a hate-love relationship, best friends getting together, bad boy and good girl, or someone living with some hot guys, you can. But to make your book stand out, to have people actually read it and like it, you have to put twists in it.

Maybe they hate each other because they're so different: he's stubborn and she's arrogant. And they're forced to be together because they're main characters in a school play? Be creative.

Maybe they've both secretly liked one another but didn't want to ruin the friendship.

Maybe he's just a bad influence for her, and she's hoping to change him, but in the end, she realizes that she can't.

Maybe the family is leaving for a summer vacation to a friend's beach house on the other side of the country, and the main character meets their sons, but not all of them are attractive or even single (as some can be older and married, engaged, or in a relationship). Be unique.

But this is if the teen fiction is romance, and you can look back at the romance part to get more details.

Teen fiction, as it states above, is more about the struggle than the romance or whatever else the story is about. The best types of teen fiction is where it's relatable.

- Make the school diverse and realistic. DON'T make it stereotypical.

- Make the character different than most on here. DON'T make them be this beautiful person that's smart. Not everyone is. You can make them smart in one or even a few subjects, but not all of them.

- Make the character realistic and relatable. If they're typically focused on school and college, have them be stressed about all the work and about their future. DON'T have them be focused on everything else, but not stressed about it.

- Remember that not everyone has had a good child, or even a great teenage life. There are issues out there that has happened, such as poverty, gangs, moving constantly, abuse (emotional, physical), depression, and more. So DON'T just keep making stories of the same type of character.

- You can write about mental illnesses and or mental disorders. It shouldn't be offensive or triggering. It's the price that readers pay by reading a book. But DON'T write it an offensive way, like making a story about having a killer that's the hero's alternate personality, and thinking that's the definition of schizophrenia.