How to Grammar

Whether you speak English fine or you're not a native speaker, it doesn't matter. Grammar in English is the hardest thing because there's too many words and rules. But practice makes better.

Today, we're going through a small list of words that are commonly misused, as well as punctuation (as it's part of the whole grammar world - but it also branches out into its own thing), and how you can write get better at it.

Whom vs. Whowhich is it?

This is a pretty common mistake for anyone. The grammar Nazi's are probably cringing when you say it in the wrong text. A good exercise is to do the he/him method:

He = who

Him = whom

Who wrote the book?

He wrote the book. Therefore, who is correct.

Whom should I vote for?

Should I vote for him? Therefore, whom is correct.

We all know who pulled the fire alarm.

He pulled the fire alarm. Therefore, who is correct.

They wondered whom the book was about.

The book was about him. Therefore, whom is correct.

Also try to say it out loud. It may come off a little funny if you say it and not think it.

A woman whom I think is beautiful. – Incorrect.

A woman who I think is beautiful. – Correct.

Me and I

When you're using two or more people with you or your character in the list, you will have "I" at the end of it. It's incorrect when you say things like "Me and Andrew." The rule to this is to replace "Me" and use "I." "Andrew and I."

In dialogue, it may be allowed as you want it to be more realistic and non-formal, but when you're using it in narration, etc., it'll be "I."

"Er" and "More."

Some people use "more" in different sentences. For instance – "It's more hot here." Does it sound right? Not exactly. It may be better if it says "Is it more hot there?" But the correct way to say it is: "It's hotter here." It can also be rephrased to "Is it hotter there?" Replacing "more" with an "er" word such as "greater," "fewer," "looser," "better," etc. is more satisfying.

Other people may use "better" and "more" or "greater" and "more" in the same sentences which is not correct. Again, use the "er" word: "It's more better there." – "It's better there." "Isn't it more great?" – "Isn't it greater?" – "Isn't it great?"

Has?

From what I remember when learning Spanish was that in the English version, you would tell someone you have whatever years you are, for instance. In Spanish it would say you are five years old, but in English it'll say you have five years. In English, this is incorrect. You tell someone you are how many years old, not in a sense that it sounds like you have X amount of years left of your life. So for an example: "He's twenty years old." "She's fifteen."

Has, Had, and Have

"Has" and "had" is past tense whilst "have" is present. You can easily catch this by again, saying it out loud.