American Schooling Pt. 8 - Extras

I've seen a lot of people asking about the American school systems, so I will like to provide you the information on them. I have been to over fourteen different types of schools in various areas, so I'm using my knowledge from that and from my siblings' schools. Do know that I'm no "knowledge-keeper" when it comes to this - I know a lot of the system, but there are things that I am unaware of. If you do have any questions that I did not answer throughout any of these areas, please comment below. I will try my best to find the answer from my most wonderful best friend, Google.

Now, let's get started.

In this final chapter about the system, we will talk about types of tests, holidays, basic lunch menus, why students share classes, school dress-code, type of teachers, detention,  what a normal day of school looked like, senior fun, graduation, and after graduation (and the beginning of college searching). - THIS WILL BE A TWO PARTER.

Types of tests:

You have your normal quizzes and tests that you take in class, each week or two (depending on when the topic is done). Quizzes are just small tests teachers use during the week to refresh memory on what you did. Then tests would be what you all covered and learned that week.

Mid-term exams are given every mid-term, basically. A term is eight weeks, so mid-term exams would be given every (other) four weeks. It'd basically be going over what you had learned since you came to school.

Then, you have finals. Final exams are given at the end of the class, when the class is completed. So depending on the type of schedule you have (block or period), it could be given every term and semester or every year, before summer. Every class will have some form of final exam on what you learned throughout the year. And don't worry, the teachers go over it as the date gets closer.

Then finally, you have graduation state tests. The state test is given to every single student in the state (and the name of it differs between states - for instance, in Ohio, it's call the OGTs). It's taken in March and it's a week process. Students go over social studies, writing, reading, math, and science. Sophomore, junior, and seniors take this test. Freshman get something similar (like a practice run, I suppose?) but they don't necessarily get the full on thing until sophomore year. Basically the process is this: you have three years to pass all tests. If you don't pass them all by graduation, you don't graduate. And when you do pass a test, but fail others, you only have to pass the ones you failed (for instance, if you passed the writing, reading, and math tests, you don't need to take those again, unless you want higher grades - but the next year, you take science and social studies). But if you passed all of them the first try, no need to take them again at all. Scores will be mailed out during the summer (unless you're a senior, then you get yours before graduation).

You do have the SATs and ACTs, but it's not a mandatory test for your graduation. It's only mandatory if you're choosing to go to college; otherwise, you have to register (and pay for) those tests in order to take them. And from my understanding, junior and seniors take them (mainly juniors, though) and the tests are given in various months throughout the year.

Holidays:

The first holiday we have is Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, if you don't know, is held on the last Thursday of November. So for the break, as it is a week long holiday for school, we get out sometime between Friday of the previous week or Monday to Tuesday of the week of Thanksgiving. It differs between schools and districts as sometimes, you get out of school on Friday, you have the weekend, plus all seven days (Monday-Sunday) to be out of school, then you go back the following Monday. Other times, you get of school on Friday, have your normal weekend, go to school on Monday and Tuesday, then you get out of school for the break (Wednesday-Sunday).