How to Write a Character Losing Weight

Before I get to anything, I want to say sorry for being away for a long time and also not doing much to this book. I've had quite a week; if you didn't know, I started my first job which actually does take a lot of the time out of my day. Mainly because I work in the mornings (8:30-11:30) - I wake up around seven, and I do get on for a bit but it's not that long. I do get off and come home for a little while, but because I got up early, I just wanted to sleep. Then I work in the evenings: 6-10:30. When I get off, my sisters and I watch movies while eating dinner and that goes onto about 1-2am. So it's pretty much that every day.

That's because I'm not on much anymore or doing anything, which sucks because I want to get back to writing Taste of Italy...

Anyway... back to this.

This was a question someone asked me about on how to lose weight (it was in the Send Me a Question chapter of this tip book). I've decided to detail about how to lose weight normally (in real life) and then detail on how to put that into a book (that way, this doesn't seem like a real life tip type of thing).

This basically goes for anyone that way over weight and I'm talking over fifty pounds over. This is for those that are 200+ pounds. When you're a little overweight, it still kind of applies to you but honestly, you probably don't have a lot of weight to lose in order to be thin.

Before I actually start to do this, I just wanted to point out that I am no professional, doctor, or nutritionist. I am just a mere human girl that knows a bit on this topic. I'm going off of my experiences and what I've learned.

All right: let's start this shin-dig.

The first thing you have to know is that losing weight is thirty percent exercising and seventy percent what you eat. A lot of ignorant people out there that don't know what it's like to be overweight and losing that weight, don't necessarily agree with this because they think it may be lazy to think this. There's still exercising in the equation and it's good to put in about an hour of exercising every three to four days - or more. But have you ever wondered why there's some vegans that are overweight?

I mean, they eat healthy, right? No bad meat like cheeseburgers or anything. They're eating veggies and fruit a lot. And yet, they're still overweight? How? Why? It's because A) they probably don't exercise a lot. And B) they most likely eat junk food. I have a vegan friend who is a bit overweight. She doesn't exercise much and she stuffs her face in chips and pizza and whatnot.

Junk food is the number one reason why you probably can't lose weight. Once you go cold turkey, it helps a lot. I lose five pounds on my very first week of my weight loss journey because I went cold turkey on junk food.

But it's also not enough. Why? Let me introduce you to proportion control. If you're like me, you probably have big plates of food. Sometimes you have seconds or thirds on whatever it is. Do you see the problem here? You're eating too much for a meal. When I researched on this, just about everyone said to grab a small plate and use that - and only one plate of food per meal. The reason why they said this was because when we put a small portion of the food onto the big plate, our minds think that it's not enough and that we need to fill up the spaces. When you use a small plate, then you think that it'll fill you.

Now yes, it probably won't. I'm sure I know what you were thinking when I said to use a small plate when you're used to big plates and seconds or thirds of that meal. It'll be a big challenge. For us overweight people, it's easier to gain weight than to lose it. It's all backwards. And it sucks. But let me also say that you do this all at a slower rate.

In the first week and so on of your weight loss, don't go cold turkey and stop eating so much. If you want to go cold turkey, you can. But here's what I've learned: if you split things up into smaller pieces (meaning these actions), it'll help your body adapt easier. If you go cold turkey and eat very little like that, it's probably not that healthy right off the bat. But this is what I'm saying: during the first month, have certain goals to make. Stop eating or drinking something. For instance, people stop drinking soda within the first week or so and it helps them. As they continue, they throw away snacks and any other goodies from there kitchen (or house if you like to hide them) and replace them with healthier choices.