Comparing Destroys You

I've met a few people in the past that compare their works with others or even with their own projects. And because they do so, they end up feeling like it's not good enough and that they are wasting their time with writing.

Bottom line: if you're writing a book that you don't like, you're wasting your time.

But here's something to ask yourself: are you able to write the story differently to a point where you can like it? If so, then try to plan the story out to alter it to your liking. If you find yourself writing it, but can't make it better, maybe consider writing it with a different style? Maybe write it as a poem or a short story, a comic, or a children's book, or even as a script. You may or may not know (or remember) but I had a book that I was in the process of making into a series called Nicolas Carter: The Sorceress, and I was able to get through at least five chapters, that's including the prologue. But I had stopped and realized that I wasn't creating it like most fantasies. Why? My work was lacking details that I couldn't seem to fill in the blanks. I didn't want to drop the book because the idea was incredible, so I decided to make it into a television series - put each chapter into a script format. And even though I still have it as a pilot episode (I haven't been able to write more of it) it does work better.

But if you find that you can't write it as something else, then move on.

You can't keep comparing your work to others or your own because honestly? It won't help you none.

I mean, why do you write? What is it that drives you to pick up a pencil or to open up a document and create a plot with characters and conflicts and more? What is it that makes you want to be an author - for a hobby or for a profession?

If you end up comparing yourself and your works to others, you won't make it passed the finish line. You won't get to your goals.

The point is, comparing destroys you. Because you end up feeling like you're not good enough. But here's the reality of it: you will never be like J. K Rowling or any other author. You can't write like them. No author in the universe can write like them. It's because everyone is different and every author has a different way of writing a story; whether it'd be the use of ideas, the way on how to describe things, or whatnot. But that's how you can write like you. You have your own style. You have your own way to write. And as you continue to build yourself as a writer, you'll then get to have readers who get inspired because they read your books. And just like you, they'll probably get inspired to write and want to learn how to write a book like you. And just like me, there will be someone will probably tell them the same thing I'm telling you.

Just write a book that seems to give readers a taste of your personality.

And for me, it's a privilege, an honor, to write and to inspire people whether it'd be writing, or doing something in life they love. And to me, that is why I write. I write to inspire, to express myself.