What Genre?

I see many people ask this in the clubs. They either can't decide what genre to put their story in or they have no idea what genre is best suit for their story.

Here's a quick list of all the genres and their meanings:

Romance = Romance novels describe the development of a relationship between two people. Often, the story will end with the two characters falling in love or a similarly optimistic conclusion. However, not all romances need to have a happy ending.

Fantasy = Fantasies are often inspired by mythology and magic. Typical characters include werewolves, fairies, demons, dragons, witches and wizards.

Science Fiction = Science Fiction stories have plots that are largely possible within the story's scientifically established laws of nature. Story plots often revolve around a futuristic view of humanity, the use of a time machine or some kind of genetic mutation, extraterrestrial life forms, etc.

General Fiction = Stories are from all genres, but are intended for older readers. General Fiction can be about teenagers and youth, but often deals with more mature themes. General Fiction can also be called Contemporary Fiction or Literature.

Mystery/Thriller = A Mystery is a puzzle or a secret that is solved by characters in the story. Clever plotting, interesting clues, detective reasoning skills? all of these are important elements. Similarly, Thriller stories involve a threat or imminent danger that must be overcome or resolved and often involves mysterious elements.

Horror = They intend to frighten readers and introduce feelings of horror and terror. Horror can be either supernatural or non-supernatural.

Teen Fiction = Teen Fiction includes stories that are aimed at young adults and teens. Teen Fiction is often about teenagers and set in high schools, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes, Teen Fiction describes the challenges faced by young people and the challenges of growing up.

Vampire = If the story involves vampires, it belongs to this category!

Fan Fiction = Fan Fiction has characters and/or settings that are based on other works, including novels, anime, movies and TV series.

Adventure = Adventure novels involve an exciting and often risky task that the main character must successfully complete. Though the hero is often in dangerous situations, the character is more likely to use his/her wits and ingenuity to outsmart an enemy than resort to violence.

Comedy = Characters talking like comedians? Silly scenes? Share your thoughts on humor stories. We'll have funny discussions too.

Poetry = Poetry is when an author focuses on the language they are using to describe content. Poetry can rhyme and be very structured, or be more free form and conversational.

Action = An action story is one where most of the plot developments are delivered at an exciting and fast pace. This category includes stories about Kung Fu, extreme sports such as rock climbing and stories about daring adventures.

Paranormal = Stories that describe experiences that lie outside the range of normal experience or scientific explanation. Examples include human characters that have been born with mind reading abilities or stories involving ghosts (not demons), souls, etc.

Spiritual = Spiritual stories are about people reflecting on their spirituality or involve a religious context or background.

Non-Fiction = Works of Non-Fiction are stories that the author tells the reader are based on fact or events that actually happened, such as events in their own life. Non-Fiction can also include instructional or reference books, like a cook book.

Short Story = A short story is a work of fiction and is similar to a novel, but just shorter. It can be as short as a few pages or much longer, and divided into a few chapters. Short stories can be any genre and are usually less complex than novels, with a single story line and less characters.

Werewolf = Stories that are about werewolves.

Historical Fiction = Historical Fiction are stories that take place in the past. They are different from time travel stories, as they do not include any Fantastical Elements and deal with the lives and plots of characters who lived many years ago as the author imagines those times to be! Historical Fiction may take place during extraordinary historical events, but it doesn't have to. Historical Fiction can cover any period of time that would be considered the past.

Now that that's over, you may be confused with a few things, such as the Fantasy, Werewolf, and Vampire genres. Here's the thing: If your story focuses on werewolves, it belongs to that genre. If the story focuses on vampires, it belongs to that genre. If it may include any of these two creatures of the night, but doesn't focus the story on them, then it belongs to Fantasy.

If you're then saying to yourself, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what the genre means, but I don't know what to do about placing it!" Then continue reading. Since Wattpad only allows one genre, you must think deeply about your story and about each genre the story is placed in. Think hard, now, okay? Once you understand the concept of your idea and what genres your story is placed in, then see what genre is focused on more in the plot-line.

Here's an example: Say you have a story that's placed in Science Fiction, Action, and Romance. But there isn't a lot of romance and most of the story takes place in a science fictional world. There is a lot of action, though. So you're mainly torn between Action and Science Fiction. But if the story takes place in a science fictional world (and you show it pretty well), most likely, it should be placed in Science Fiction.

Just ask yourself: "What genre does my story focus more about?"