American Schools Pt. 1 - Elementary

I've seen a lot of people asking about the American school systems, so I will like to provide you the information on them. I have been to over fourteen different types of schools in various areas, so I'm using my knowledge from that and from my siblings' schools. Do know that I'm no "knowledge-keeper" when it comes to this - I know a lot of the system, but there are things that I am unaware of. If you do have any questions that I did not answer throughout any of these areas, please comment below. I will try my best to find the answer from my most wonderful best friend, Google.

Now, let's started.

I will be talking about elementary schools in this chapter.

Let's get something straight. You have three types of titles - pre-school, elementary, and primary. Each type comes with a various amount of grades.

Pre-school is its own building, it's more of a day-care type as it allows children from the ages of three to five year olds to enter. Pre-school does cost money and in some places, it can be pricey. It can average between under five thousand dollars to over thirteen thousand dollars per year.

The kids don't do much unless the quality of the school does, for instance, basic pre-schools may teach students numbers, alphabet, colors, shapes, and animals. There are certain aspects to it that are more precise, but that's just the general idea of what a pre-school is like. However, there are a lot of parents who don't put their children in pre-school. Those who go through with it, probably want their child to be a bit more intelligent (as some pre-schools can do so if it's a higher-learning facility) or don't have time to be with and teach their child, for instance, parents who work a lot. But the reason as to why some parents don't go through with pre-school is because they can teach themselves the basics of learning for free. Pre-school is mainly just showing the beginning stages of learning and working with others, as they will find friends. But if a parent doesn't put their child to pre-school, they can find friends through friends of the parents' (their friends have children around the same age), family (cousins, siblings, etc.), or by going to the park and finding a random person to play with on the equipment.

Some parents may also find other ways to find friends for their children, like groups at a library or whatnot.

Primary school usually gets its title if the town is overcrowded by students, then the district separates the schools by different names such as primary, intermediate, and junior high.

But primary school is for those who are between the grades of kindergarten to second grade. Once in third grade, they head out to elementary school where in that town, goes to third to fifth or sixth grade.

We will be focusing solely on elementary school, though, and a specific type as most schools in the U.S are elementary schools like so.

Elementary school is for grades kindergarten to fifth grade. A grading and age sheet would look similar to:

K = 5-6 years old.

First grade = 6-7 years old.

Second grade = 7-8 years old.

Third grade = 8-9 years old.

Fourth grade = 9-10 years old.

Fifth grade = 10-11 years old.

During each year, you have one to two classes that are your normal subjects between math, science, social studies, and language arts. Other classes such as music, art, and P.E., are where you go elsewhere.

But you stay inside the room (or two) to learn the topics and subjects.

Each grade will go higher with its level of education, so it will get harder as it goes on. Saying what the student learns differs completely throughout the schools and areas. For instance, when I was in sixth grade in Vermont, I was learning about the earth's population for science. When I moved in the same year - I was a sixth grader in Colorado, and there, I was learning about fish and marine life for science.