Songs

Whether it's posting lyrics in a book that is either yours or isn't, or posting a song to the media of the book - people just can't make up their minds.

First of all, lyrics are okay. In fact, a lot of books - even published ones - have written lyrics in them. But it's not the full song. It's a single verse or even just a small snippet.

That's the picture of Hanging Tree from the Hunger Games (Mockingjay, to be precise)

That's the picture of Hanging Tree from the Hunger Games (Mockingjay, to be precise). But that's not all of the song that Suzanne Collins wrote. She, in fact, used multiple verses for the book. But it was mixed with details. Here, take a closer look:

Do you see what she did there?

She also did the same in the first book, when Rue died.

It's better as a snippet that's given to the reader, than the full on song right there

It's better as a snippet that's given to the reader, than the full on song right there. And using details is better. If, on Wattpad, you want to post the whole song, I'd probably say to do it at the end of the book as an extra chapter. Otherwise, no.

But like Suzanne, you could do what she did - putting it out like that, and each line of words would be under the previous line, and it'll all be in italics... or you could do it a way that I sometimes do it. I do it as a full dialogued area, but I use italics, and I only use one line, while describing the rest:

Doing the cover of Can't Help Falling in Love in a type of Ingrid Michaelson version, I close my eyes and start hitting whatever keys there are in front of my fingers and I can tell the music is okay. A couple wrong errors, but I don't mind. I sing as well.

"Shall I stay? Would it be a sin? Oh, I can't help . . . falling in love .. . with you," I say, my eyes still closed. "Like a river flows so surely to the sea, oh my darling so it goes . . . somethings are meant to be . . . so won't you please, just . . . take .. . my hand . . . and take my whole life too . . . as I can't help falling in love . . ."

When I end the song, there's a little comfort within myself; telling me that all will be fine; saying that I'm okay; and addressing me to stay calm and be in this happy place, where I'm at now. A smile creeps itself upon my lips and I open my eyes to see Periwinkle and Jessie's mouths ajar and their faces to interested in the song.

"I forgot that you sang so well," Periwinkle comments as she gives me a grin.

"That was so good, Ray!" Jessie admires as she puts her cheese sandwich onto a paper plate and comes over to me. "Show me how you did it!" she demands.

"I don't know, I just . . . pressed buttons." I shrug, biting my lower lip. "Was I really that good?"

"Yes!" Periwinkle shakes her head and rolls her eyes, knowing that I'm too stupid to see my so called hidden talent.

"With a voice like yours and your magical fingers, you were impeccable! Did you take piano lessons or were in music class?" Jessie asks with her eyes full of envy.

I sigh. "I took classes as a kid, but I haven't exactly remembered most of what I learned. If you noticed, I did make mistakes."

"So? Everyone makes mistakes! What are you talkin' about, Ray? You're a great musician!" shrieks Jessie, her hands on her face, basically covering everything from her chin to her forehead.

I mean, it's not the best - I think I could do much better than that, but hey... :P I don't know how to play the piano, let alone read music.

But in a nutshell, that's what you could do.

Now, as far as media. Yeah, go ahead and post what inspired you or what you listened to while you wrote, or whatnot. Some people say that it takes you out of the book, but I disagree. However, if that's how they feel, they don't need to listen to it. But if that is what you want to do, then go ahead. Otherwise, you can post a playlist to all the songs you listened to or all the songs that go you inspired or whatnot... for the book.