American Schooling Pt. 5 - High School Classes

I've seen a lot of people asking about the American school systems, so I will like to provide you the information on them. I have been to over fourteen different types of schools in various areas, so I'm using my knowledge from that and from my siblings' schools. Do know that I'm no "knowledge-keeper" when it comes to this - I know a lot of the system, but there are things that I am unaware of. If you do have any questions that I did not answer throughout any of these areas, please comment below. I will try my best to find the answer from my most wonderful best friend, Google.

Now, let's get started.

When you first began as a freshman in high school, you are given a list of requirements. This list goes off of all the classes you need to pass within the four years and an amount of credits. If you don't know what a credit is, it's basically a number (.5 - half a credit; 1 - a full credit) that each class gives you when passed. If failed, you don't receive one. Some schools may have some elective classes give bigger credits (like 1.5 or even 2). But not all schools. By the end of each year, you are supposed to end up with a specific amount of credits (or an amount that is higher than the original) to move onto the next grade. By the end of the senior year, you graduate, but it's determined by a few things - which we'll get to later. But by graduation, you have to have, again, a specific amount in order to graduate. If you don't have that, you don't graduate or you take more classes to do so by your senior year.

Each state is different with their credit system, though, so it is hard to tell you on what are the specifics. Some states are 21, others are 24, others are in the 40s... it just depends. If you're still in high school and you move states, you could easily be demoted just because of the credit change. This was my issue in high school. By the end of my ninth grade year, I had three credits. I moved and got held back a year (for a different reason) and then moved to a different town, but in the same state as that. By that time, I was supposed to be an eleventh grader, but because I was held back (for that different reason), I was okay with being a tenth grader. However, because of my lack of credits in the state, I was fully held back to being a ninth grader because to pass ninth grade, I had to have six credits and I only had three. So I was held back for two years. By the time I ended tenth grade, I had just turned eighteen and was the age of a graduating senior - so when all of my friends graduated, I stayed behind. The thing is, I decided to move on with my life so I got my G.E.D (Graduating Equivalent Diploma - basically meaning I have a diploma, I just didn't get the ceremony and such) and now I'm looking forward to college.

We do have a thing for those that do want a ceremony, but want to graduate earlier. It's called Early Graduation. People who do this are given the same type of list of requirements, but it's tougher. You're given extra and harder classes and more credits to meet. But from my understanding, it's anyone who is a tenth grader and above. My friend graduated when she was a sophomore - she was fifteen.

Finally, though, let's get started on the list of classes.

Ninth grade:

Math - Algebra I, Pre-Algebra, Algebra II, Geometry.

Science - Earth Science, Physical Science, Environmental Science, Biology - and depending on the district, Chemistry may be allowed for freshmans.

English - English 1 (is also called English 9) will often teach the fundamentals of higher-level literature and how to analyze and respond to such literature. English 2 (is also called English 10) is the advanced course and is usually a genre studies type of English class, but it may instead be focused on one type of literature, such as American Literature and British Literature. English 3 (is also called English 10) is the honors course and is usually focused on one type of literature such as American Literature and British Literature. But if it was already covered in previous classes, it may be a genre study English course.