Is It Okay to Bring Reality Into the Book?

Let me make the question more clear: is it okay to add in real life problems, such as those around you as well as your own, into the story you're writing?

The answer? Simply yes.

See, writing is about expressing yourself. How else could you get the feelings and the situation across the page? You can't. If you don't don't use real life.

It's not found to be too dramatic - unless the situation is crazy and very traumatic to the writer or the reader - but if you add in your real life issues or feelings, then it becomes more deeper than that.

J.K Rowling, for instance. The Death Eaters were created because of her depression. They're a reflection of what depression is and how it destroyed her - they take away all the good memories and the good in you and well... leave you empty. And actually, that's what depression does.

That's the greatest thing, though, about writing. It makes the reader get closer to you, by understanding how you felt or what you may have gone through. I use a lot of emotion in my writing, especially in my depressing stories. In My Invisible Wound, the character was basically based off of myself and the outcome of what she did was a reflection of who I don't or didn't want to be and or end like - drowning in depression, and soon, going into suicide.

The more realistic, the more deeper you get into it, the better the story.

Memoirs, though... they can leave a person disgusted or just feel really bad. I guess it just depends. I remember someone telling me that they read a memoir about this author going through a very bad childhood, like how his mother would force him to eat something, throw it up, and eat that. The reader couldn't even get through the book.

I have a book - a memoir - called The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and it's about how poor her family was, like she was sleep on a cardboard box or they would live in their car. I shared the book with my mom, but she couldn't even get through it because she knows how sad it is because she had been in similar situations. She stopped reading the book within the first few chapters.