32

Dave

A new day approaches and i'm finally home with my girls. To save us a bit more trouble, Parker has been staying with me for a bit just so I don't have to go down too many steps  and everything isn't always a hassle. By Thursday, someone should be coming in to install a seated airlift just so I can move around a bit more. By Regina being a nurse, it's nice that she can stop by and help as well.

Here I am with Kairi on my lap downstairs in the living room as we watch High School Musical 2 while Parker is out to visit a client for a couple hours. If they were to leave me up in the house by myself, it might suck and get lonely too.

By allowing Kairi to stay home with me is quite a blessing for both her and me. For one, ion never make her miss school at all, and for me to do that as a disabled parent just shows that I need someone.

"Dad can we read a book together?" removing her eyes from off of the TV, she turned to me with those bright eyes of hers. Boy, was she the most adorable thing on the planet.

Nodding my head, my hands began to move the wheels on the chair, turning towards her small bookshelf right beside the couch that was tall enough for me to reach a book. Stopping me, Kairi moved her hands up towards a high shelf and picked out the one and only book I couldn't stand, "No, David!"

When I tell you, this book makes you want to grab a belt and go ham on somebody's ass, that's how I feel. You mean TELL me that a child could break every rule in your house and all you have to say to that child is, "No, David." Yeah, it's time for an intervention about your parenting skills.

"Pookie, you ain't wanna read nothin' else? I know it's ya favorite book, but wanna try something new?" looking down at her, she didn't give me the reaction I normally received. Putting the book back, she then decided to pick up, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar".

Growing up, my mama would read this to me as a youngin', makes me wish I had listened to her instinct and pursue a basketball career and not tied up in this mess I'm in now. Opening up the book, we began to read the book together, as her body was sitting gently in my lap. Looking at all the pictures, we cheered and smiled along the way.

Times like this is what made me smile, cause even though I didn't have a perfect life growing up, it was in my power to make sure Kairi did.

Reading up towards the end, we began to see the gigantic caterpillar turn into a magical butterfly. Kairi began to clap her hands begging for me to read the book again to her, but I couldn't bother repeating those same words over and over.

"How about break time, huh? Parker left you a turkey sandwich with carrots and ranch, and an apple to eat with it. Sounds fair enough? Then we can solve your Dora puzzle." It was like Parker was girlfriend of the year because the way Kairi lightened up fast made me feel like she REALLY enjoys Parker's company.

Just as we rolled our way into the kitchen, my phone went buzzing and Parker was calling me. Answering quickly, she was put on speaker and Kairi came off my lap before I rolled over to the fridge with the phone in my lap.

"Hey baby what's good?" scanning for Kairi's food, I took it out from the bottom shelf that Parker rearranged. She paced foods that I use daily reachable, same with the pantry.

"Dave, I'm stuck in traffic, but don't worry, I'll still have enough time to make your salmon for you...maybe. How's Kairi doing? Did you take out her food out? When I get home, remind me to wash your clothes for you."

Stopping her before she could say much more, I just blabbered into the phone, "Don't worry bout allat, she good and I'm good, now hurry on home please." Looking over my shoulder, Kairi was sitting at her Dora table waiting patently.