501-505

501: When Exactly Did You Conceive This Child?

If it was still the former scene in the Feng manor, when Feng Jin Yuan was still the prime minister, a concubine going into labor would definitely result in a few midwives being brought into the manor in the event of an emergency. Presently, however, Feng Jin Yuan was nothing more than a stablehand without rank or title. Even the residence that he lived in was sent by the fifth prince. How could he still have the heart to ask for a midwife.

Han shi's belly began to hurt out of nowhere. Even Fen Dai, who usually accompanied her was caught off-guard.

Cheng Jun Man made a prompt decision to use her personal money to bring in a midwife and doctor. She then brought Cheng Jun Mei and An shi over to Han shi's courtyard. After Yao shi heard about it, she also rushed over to take a look; however, she was stopped by Qing Lan. Qing Lan told her: "Madam has never gotten along very well with Han shi. It would be best to not cause trouble at a time like this."

For some reason, Yao shi did not listen to this advice. She just went out and headed straight toward Han shi's courtyard. While walking, she said: "What trouble could there be? If she thinks that I am irritating to look at, if she gets angry, that would be her own problem. If my appearance is enough to cause Han shi some trouble or cause the birth of this child to not go as smoothly, that is all that I could ever hope for."

When Yao shi spoke, a cold look appeared on her face, causing Qing Lan to tremble. Ever since that morning when Yao shi made the decision to return to the Feng manor, she felt that Yao shi was a little off. It was like right now, when this emotionless yet cold appearance occasionally appeared. It was not something that could even be hidden.

Finally, when everyone was gathered in Han shi's room, with Xiang Rong even being present. An experienced granny in the manor was in the inner room, helping Han shi calm her emotions. Everyone else was led by Cheng Jun Man to sit in the outer room. An shi had just gone to the inner room to take a look and had returned while frowning and thinking about something. Xiang Rong closed her eyes, and the scene from the beginning of the year that took place at the side of a lake in the Feng manor replayed in her mind.

She quietly asked An shi: "Was second sister informed?"

An shi nodded, "A servant has gone to the Yu Palace to report." She then raised her voice and told Fen Dai: "But since this is husband's first day on the job, it's unknown if he will be able to be called back."

Fen Dai did not look as favorably on Han shi's pregnancy as in the past. After all, the Feng family's head wife position was occupied by the Cheng shi sisters. Not a single person could overtake them. Also, she had become engaged to the fifth prince, and it was as the official princess. Thus whether or not Han shi gave birth to a son was no help to her. But no matter what was said, she was still her birth mother. She still hoped that her father would be here to help her instead of feeding some damn horses.

She stomped her foot and said to her servant Qiu Yue: "Go to the Li Palace and tell his Highness the fifth prince. Have him make an appearance to help get father back."

Qiu Yue nodded then glanced at Cheng Jun Man. Seeing that she did not stop her, she quickly ran off. Fen Dai snorted coldly and said to Cheng Jun Man: "In truth, there is no need for his Highness the fifth prince to make an appearance. As long as mother could send someone to ask, father would definitely be able to return to the manor."

Cheng Jun Man faintly smiled and told her: "I could say something, but there is no need. Currently, husband is not even a lowly ninth-ranked official. The position of a lowly concubine in the manor is not the same as before. If I used my position as the Empress' niece to bring husband back, and word of it was to get out, perhaps husband would get in even more trouble. Fourth young miss, you must think more carefully before taking action in the future. Either way, you must consider our situation more carefully."