twenty eight - willow creek

Jasmine

I felt my shoulders being shook causing me to groan. I shifted in my seat, hoping to get some more sleep. I felt two fingers press into my back, causing my eyes to shoot open.

"Jasmine." I heard a voice whisper. I instantly knew who it was. I rolled over and faced him. My eyes squinted at him from tiredness.

"Ethan?" I said, confused. He laughed quietly and ran his hand through his messy hair. It was sticking in every direction from him being asleep. He was wearing the same clothes he had on last night, due to the fact that we fell asleep in his car, which means we're still parked in the parking lot.

"What time is it?" I yawned,
sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

"Six am." he answered while grinning. I rolled my eyes.

"Why did you wake me up?" I asked, my voice groggy and horrible. Wow I sound disgusting.

"I wanted to watch the sunrise with you." the corners of his mouth curved up. I sighed and my eyes closed gently. "Pretty please?" He asked me. I felt his hand on arm causing me to tense up. My eyes slowly peeled open,  revealing a pouting Ethan.

"Alright." I half smiled and he broke out into a wide smile. We both got out of the car and began walking. Ethan's phone went off, he groaned rolling his eyes. He grabbed it out of his back pocket and checked who texted him. He rolled his eyes again and shoved it back into the pocket.

I looked up at the sky and it was a dark blue colour. The sun should be coming up soon. I looked over at Ethan. "Are you okay?" I asked him, biting down on my lip. I didn't know if he would get mad at me for asking or not.

He looked over at me. "Yeah. Gray keeps annoying me. That's all." he sighed and I nodded.

He grabbed my hand in his and interlocked our fingers together. I watched Ethan as we started to make our way through the woods. He was admiring the nature. I can tell he loves it.

"Look," He said pointing towards a small hill. "We can see it from there." he smiled shyly. I nodded and he pulled me in the direction of the hill. We walked to the top of it and there was a small bench at the top. Ethan let go of my hand and hopped up on the bench.

He patted the space between him and I smiled lightly. I got onto the bench and I sat down next to him, keeping a little distance. I turned my attention away from him and to the view. The sun was slowly rising over the trees causing the sky to turn a pink/ orange colour.

"My dad and I used watch the sunrises all the time...before he died." I breathed out. I could feel my eyes getting glossy. I blinked the tears away. Ethan stayed silent. "We'd make sure to wake up early every morning in summer just to watch it. It was our thing." I said, looking down at my lap.

I looked over at Ethan, noticing he was already looking at me. He knows what it's like to lose a parent. He knows that saying "I'm sorry" doesn't help. Sometimes silence is the best option.

"My mom loved nature and being out doors. My dad, not so much. He'd rather stay in and work all day," Ethan admitted. "I guess that's why I love to be outdoors. Grayson and I, when we were little kids, would always come here and explore the woods. It was our thing." he said, looking at me.

"But when our mom died everything changed I guess. I went insane, you can probably tell. My depression got really bad, I got PTSD and a few other issues. I was always closer to my mom than Grayson." he said.

"So when she died, we stopped doing all the things we used to do. We just got involved in the gang. We stopped coming here. This is the first time I've been back since she died." he said and I could see his eyes becoming glossy.