C H P - 24

Father.

----

Jungkook shakily retrieved his phone from off the floor and slid his finger across the screen, answering the call he knew would bring him pain. He was dreading it before the voice even came through the speaker.

"Where are you?"

His chocolate eyes widened innocently, like a child who had been surprised with his favorite candy.

Was his father actually concerned for once?

"I-I'm with a friend right now, but if you wa--"

"I hope you have your things. Neither me nor your mother want to see that face of yours for the next two weeks. I suggest you talk that friend into letting you stay with them for spring break or else you're gonna be sleeping on the streets." And with that and nothing else, his father ended the call.

Any trace of hope within him faded, the tears he dreaded so much already building up in his eyes. How could I be stupid enough to think they care? His cellphone suddenly felt like it didn't belong in his hands, so he dropped, or rather chucked it onto the floor. Not knowing whether to hide his emotions away or simply let them escape from his heart into the outside world, he stumbled over to the made bed, gritting his teeth.

He loathed being so emotionally weak.

For the past few days, he had thought that maybe it was okay to be upset or sad, but as the pain of having any emotions at all came back to him, he struggled to understand just why he had allowed himself to feel anything in the first place.

He curled himself into a small ball on top of the covers, letting just a few tears escape from the confines of his tired eyes, and then with a shaky breath, he swallowed the rest down. He couldn't afford to feel anything else that night; what he had gone through that day was enough.

It was all enough.

"Hey, Jungkookie!" Out of nowhere, the hotel door opened and Taehyung stepped in, the light from the hallway piercing through the darkness. "Jungkookie?" he said again, his voice filled to the brim with concern. Not understanding why the lights were off, he quietly shut the door behind him and flipped on the light switch. His eyes softened instantly, and so as silently as he could, he flipped the lights back off and quickly made his way over to his friend, who had been shaking with quiet sobs. He didn't know what was going on or why the male had been crying, but that didn't stop him from laying down beside Jungkook and pulling him to his chest. With no hesitance, he wrapped his arms around the male and squeezed.

Jungkook's hands unconsciously slid around to hold onto the male he had grown to care for. The emotions that he had worked so hard to hold in poured out of him relentlessly, in waves of sobs and hopeless tears, and it was only then that he realized there was no way he could hide what his heart felt while in Taehyung's arms, because as the older male's chest rose and fell, he felt safe; he felt vulnerable. He was okay to feel emotions as long as Taehyung was beside him, and that reassurance was enough for him to let down his walls and cry out the rest of his pain.

The minutes passed by, unstoppable in their tracks, and the sobs showed no sign of stopping. Taehyung's shirt became soaked from his friend's salty tears, and within that moment, within that flow of time, he could think of only one thing, and it was Jungkook. He needed to calm him down; he had to. It was his job as a friend to help the other in his time of need. And so, ever so softly, he ran his fingers through Jungkook's knotted brown locks and sang to him.

One day,
I wrote a long, long letter to the moon.
It would not be brighter than you,
But I lit a small candle.