I was suddenly struck by a thought.

Oh, no.

"...What did you do then?"

"I killed them all, of course." His wide grin was nothing but fake. He was honest and didn't seem to regret anything.

For a few moments, I stayed speechless. I had no idea how to respond to that. But I knew one thing: He wasn't going to get away with it. And, perhaps, murdering a group of angel representatives hadn't been entirely unpredicted.

Orias made me stand up and rinsed the soap off my body while I was doing my best to come to terms with what I had just learned. I peered at his face, looking for a hint of concern, but I found none. There were no worries there and I no longer thought it was a mask.

Of course, I couldn't share his optimism. My eyes began stinging and I welcomed what was about to come.

"It's okay," he whispered, gazing at me tenderly, and brushed the first tears off my cheeks. "Let it all out."

He helped me out of the tub and wrapped my body with a soft towel.

"The important thing is," he started explaining, "none of us will have to do this alone."

"Is this really better for you? You'll spend the rest of your life in prison, won't you?"

"I made sure to ask before acting. Astaroth and I will be in the same place."

I couldn't take it. I reached out and embraced him, holding him tightly against me. Orias kissed my hair and hugged me back.

"You may not believe this but, up until yesterday, my life hadn't made much sense," he said, his voice low and husky. "There's nothing for me here anymore."

Orias really has a dark soul. There's not just aggression there. I can sense grief too.

I rubbed my hand up and down his back, trying to soothe him.

"Will you be happier there?"

He didn't hesitate. "I will."

I couldn't begin to imagine how hard his life had been for him to choose eternal torture so easily. If only I had a chance to show him how much he meant to me.

"Come on," he said and pulled away with a grin. "Let me dry your hair."

"Astaroth once did the same thing."

He didn't reply right away. "...I'm sure he did."

Having returned to his bedchamber, he made me sit down on his bed and turned on the hairdryer he'd brought from the bathroom. I tried to enjoy this bitter déjà vu, despite that trying to remain positive required lots of willpower. First, I tried to focus on my body. But when I realized how much my tattoo had spread, I cursed myself for my stupidity. I had no doubt that, as time went on, those black marks would look more and more like Astaroth's.

I tried not to think of the demons I cared about. Any bright memory I had of them would turn grim in today's light. Still, I had lived a life even better than my dreams and I didn't regret anything. I finally had a chance to be who I really was, even though it has always been a road with no exit. Perhaps it's true that the good guys always win.

Orias, who had just finished drying my hair, snapped me out of my thoughts when he pulled me into an embrace.

"I'll be there, Sophia," he breathed. "Astaroth too. We may be in different cells but you won't be alone."

"...You don't think he'll kill me?"

He paused to think. "His mind is stronger than anyone's. I believe he will resist his instincts."

"I wouldn't mind if he didn't. I just don't want him to feel guilty."

"Your altruism would probably mute any qualms." He kissed my neck. "Now, will you keep this necklace? Only clothes are allowed in there."

"Will they send me to the first level?"

If I remember correctly, this is the only section where favorite items are permitted.

"I believe so, yes." He sighed. "I don't think they really want to punish you."

Let's not go down this road again. No reason for me to hope for unlikely scenarios.

"I'll keep the necklace. I never planned to remove it anyway."

Orias stood up and walked up to the closet across the room. He came back with a change of black clothes in his hands. They looked soft and comfortable. I reached out to take them but he pulled them back immediately.

His jaw stiffened. "In any other case, I'd have to discipline you for this." He raised his tail and lashed it across my bare chest. "So disobedient."

A moan escaped my mouth as the stinging pain caused my nipples to harden. Orias let out a low growl and proceeded to dress me, much more impatiently than before. We didn't have time for sex, did we?

I inwardly cursed that damned government for all the things they'd stolen from me. If there's hell in this world, I'd gladly burn them in it.

"There, human," he said, trying to regain his composure. "All done."

He's done nothing but take care of me so far, trying to make my last minutes of freedom count. Yet it's clear as day that he's suffering as much as I am –if not more so.

"I'll take you out for breakfast before leaving, yes?" he asked.

I stood up and got hold of his hand. "Wait."

He looked at me expectantly.

"Is there anything I can do for you? Please. I really want to take some weight off your shoulders."

He grinned, gazing at me lovingly. "Your every reaction to me does more than you can imagine."

I eyed him with a mix of embarrassment and disappointment.

Damn. The more he talks, the more I want to do for this man.

He breathed out heavily in defeat. "I'd love to know about your past with Astaroth. And your own past too."

Despite myself, I smiled at his request. "Are you sure this will be enough?"

"Well..." He glanced at the bed, still grinning. "We don't have time for more, do we?"

This is it then. We'll talk, I'll eat, and then it's all over.

Click the Vote button if you enjoyed the story :)

Thanks!