The skies were growing dark, and the city lights were beginning to become more prominent.

You muttered swears under your breath as you worked. Rose's gift had already been wrapped, and the gift bag was sitting on the floor beside your chair.

As you worked, your telephone rang - making you sigh. Checking the number on the display portion, you realized that the number belonged to Michael.

"Hello?" you answered after picking up the receiver.

"(Y/N)," Michael's voice greeted you. He sounded drained. "You were supposed to be home two hours ago,"

"Yeah, yeah, I know," you responded. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes. "Tell Rose that I'll be home in time for her to cut her cake,"

"She already did. We celebrated with Nina. Rose couldn't wait, and she's pretty disappointed,"

Your heart sank. You had missed your own daughter's birthday. Tears filled your eyes after Michael disconnected the call. You knew that he was mad.

The truth was, you were pretty mad at yourself. You sniffled as you collected all the papers on your desk, shoving them in the drawer. You grabbed your bag and stood up.

You needed to go home.

☆~~~~☆

Upon arriving home, you rushed through the front doors - Rose's gift bag in hand. You kicked off your heels and looked around the living room. There was no one in sight.

"Rose?!" you called out. "Michael?!"

Silence.

A frown formed on your face as you made your way into the kitchen - only to find that it was empty as well. Your heart began to race as you looked around.

Where was your husband, and where was your daughter?

Suddenly, a piece of paper, that sat atop the dining table, caught your eye. You raised an eyebrow, walking over to the table and picking up the paper.

A moment passed before you realized that there was something written on the piece of paper.

Rose and I have gone out for ice cream. We'll be back by ten.

Tears filled your eyes as you thought about how upset Rose and Michael would be. You pulled out a chair and sat down at the dining table - putting your head down.

You felt horrible.

☆~~~~☆

Eventually, you had fallen asleep - and you were awoken by the sound of the front door opening and shutting. You sat up and turned around to see Michael, holding Rose's hand.

"Mommy!" she ran up to you, flinging her arms around you. You giggled and lifted her up. "You're home!"

"I'm so sorry," you whispered, kissing her cheek. "Baby, I'm so sorry for not being home earlier,"

"It's okay," she smiled. "Daddy told me that you were out helping people! Like a hero!"

Your eyes moved to Michael, and you noticed that he was focusing on you. You set Rose back onto her feet before Michael cleared his throat.

"Baby," he addressed your daughter. "Why don't you go upstairs to your room? I'll be there to read you a bed time story,"

Rose nodded before running to the staircase, rushing up to her room. Once she had disappeared, Michael shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants.

"Thank you," you searched Michael's eyes. "For telling her that I'm a hero,"

"I had to. I wasn't going to let her be mad at you," he shrugged. "You're her mother,"

"Michael, I know that you're-"

"Yes, I'm mad as hell. I'm mad because you put your job before everything. (Y/N), you're not single anymore. You have a daughter that needs you to be there for her,"

"But my job is to help people! I can't just disregard it!"

"And what about your daughter?!" Michael snapped. "You don't need a job - and you can just volunteer if you're so set on helping people," he brought his fingers to pinch the bridge of his nose. "But no, your job is the most important thing on the face of the earth," he remarked sarcastically.

"Michael, I'm sorry," the tears began to stream down your face. "I'm so sorry,"

But your husband said nothing, making his way up the staircase - leaving you all on your own.

☆~~~~☆

About half an hour after Michael had left you on your own - you had decided to go out for a walk in the gardens. Your eyes were swollen from crying, but you didn't care.

Countless thoughts began run through your mind. You had your hands behind your back, and you were quite upset.

Suddenly, you heard a pair of footsteps approaching, from behind. Turning around, you saw Michael. He had his hands shoved into the pockets of his pants - and when he saw you turn around, he let them fall to his sides.

"Michael, I-"

He cut you off by holding up his hand. He studied you for a moment longer before sighing.

"I shouldn't have walked out on you like that," he spoke. "For a moment, I forgot that we aren't kids anymore,"

You folded your arms in an attempt to stay warm.

"And...I shouldn't have let my job get the better of me. In fact...I'm going to hand in my resignation tomorrow,"

"(Y/N), you don't have to do that. I was mad," he closed his eyes before opening them again.

"No, no...you were right," you laughed a little. "I could just volunteer,"

Michael chuckled before moving closer to you.

"We'll figure everything out, together," he whispered before the two of you shared a loving kiss.

~•♡•~
Thank you so much for reading!
Lemme know your thoughts!
Lots of love!
Isha♡
~•♡•~