Dad's Sick Day (Platonic Moxiety)

September 11th, 2018
Requested.

Virgil was really good at picking up on subtle things, especially when a person didn't want those subtle things to be noticed.

So for example, he noticed the way Patton was constantly sniffling, or the way he would press his hand to his forehead whenever he drank cold water. He only drank water, in fact. The dad-like side likes to make smoothies in the morning, but he'd only been drinking water so far. He was constantly washing his hands, like there was a stain on them that he couldn't get out. Most people would just brush it off, but Virgil knew better.

"Hey uh, Dad?" he started, sitting down at the kitchen bar. The moral Side was making breakfast for the other three inhabitants of the mind. He didn't have to, but he enjoyed it. "Why don't I finish making breakfast? You do it almost every morning."

"No, it's fine kiddo, I got it," Patton replied with an almost convincing smile his direction.

It was then that the anxious Side noticed how flushed he was. His cheeks and face were tinted red, and he visually looked like he was burning up. Virgil jumped to his feet and moved across the kitchen to him. He got a confused look when he pressed his hand to his forehead; the skin was way too hot to be normal.

"Patton, you're burning up!" he exclaimed, reaching over to turn off the stove. Before he could protest, Virgil was pulling toward his room. "You need to get to bed, you're clearly sick."

The moral Side smiled affectionately. "Kiddo, I'm fine-"

He was cut off with a sudden sneeze, followed by a fit of coughs he had apparently been holding back. The anxious Side raised a skeptical eyebrow at him as Patton smiled bashfully.

"I might be a little under the weather, but I'm okay Virgil," he said, reaching up to wipe his forehead. "It's just a cold and a fever, nothing major."

"Yeah, but you need to rest so it'll go away," he replied, continuing to pull him into his bedroom. "You've got a fever, which means you need to rest and sweat it out, not be cooking and cleaning."

Patton smiled at him appreciatively as he guided him back to his bed. Starting to lay back down, the anxious Side retrieved water and some cold medicine, as well as a few softer blankets. He turned on the TV and began playing Winnie The Pooh, the eldest Side's favorite. Once he was all situated, Virgil nodded to himself. "Is there anything else you need before I go finish breakfast?"

"No kiddo, I'm good, thank you," he replied, smiling at his dark, strange son.

The anxious Side returned it as the headed toward the door. "I'll come back and check on you once breakfast is done, and I'll be sure to bring you some," he promised.

Logan and Roman entered the room as he opened the door, telling him to get some rest as well. The logical Side had even brought him some warm tea before they left. Patton sighed happily as he relaxed. He might have been sick, but at least he knew they cared.

Requested by this person: