chapter thirty-six

Start from the beginning

Luke nodded, "that's cool, I'm guessing that's what my birth mum did for me and Ben then? That's how Whitney didn't find us?"

"Yeah, but it was mixed with another spell, an invisibility one, that affects the mind to just not see something, so more hallucination than invisibility." Reece explained further.

Luke hummed, "Okay, Michael can you get me sticky notes? And a pen?"

Michael nodded and retrieved them, then Luke and Reece started to make notes for each spell to make it easier for him. "There's a lot in here." Luke said, pulling another sticky note, the book was four inches big. "Biggest book I read was Harry Potter."

"What's Harry Potter?" Reece asked.

Luke sighed, "you'd think being alive for hundreds of years would let you watch lots of films and read more books but no." Luke laughed.

"Luke," Michael said, "is there a regeneration or bringing the dead back spell in there?" He asked.

Luke looked up, his eyes softening, from what Luke had learnt, you needed fresh bodies to do that. "Mike, it was a while ago, I don't know—"

Michael didn't show it, but god he still missed Stephanie, so he didn't let Luke know how much it hurt to not get her back. "I was kidding, it's fine." He forced a smile, "you should bring back Mackenzie and send him to a nicer place."

Luke looked up at Reece, "Can we?"

Reece smiled, "baby you're the one with the magic powers, let's find the right spell."

They spent an hour going through the book, until they found the perfect one, one that stated that if they'd been dead less than a month, they could help them. "He died three weeks ago, I think." Luke said, "lots of stuff happened since, do we know where they're buried?"

"I think the same cemetery the trials happened at."

"Should we go at night so people don't see us?" Luke asked.

"Yes, don't want people seeing us digging up bodies, never mind resurrecting people." Reece laughed. "And you need some rest, I'll translate these while you nap."

"Fine." Luke sighed, he handed the book over to Reece and then leant his head up against his chest, looking out the window, "thank you for helping me by the way, both of you."

Reece and Michael shared a look, "it's okay baby." Reece said, "anything for you."

That night, they went to the cemetery, Ashton and Calum had come along too to help dig up the bodies of the Chosen Kids. Luke sat with Ashton and watched them dig, "Merry Christmas Eve by the way." Luke said, leaning against his friends shoulder.

"You too, I got you something." Ashton then shuffled and pulled out a wrapped present from his coat pocket, it was small but sweet looking paper with holly on it. Luke smiled and took it, opening it to reveal a necklace which could open, he opened it and on the inside was a small picture of his birth family.

Luke swallowed the lump in his throat, "thank you Ash."

"Reece helped me with the photo, Calum too, they had a bunch of old photos of your family. I guess they were all really close and kept your families stuff.

"Yeah." Luke sighed, "it's weird, everyone was linked."

"Yeah, maybe it was fate you met Reece."

Luke then blinked, "oh my god it really fucking was—Oi, Reece!" Reece turned at Luke's voice, "you fucking knew it was me from the start, you were babysitting me for my birth parents weren't you?"