chapter one

30+ comments on the first chapter!! I think I'm gonna love this book already

-

Luke sat in the front seat of his mum's car, staring out at the window as they passed the "Welcome to Etheridge!" sign which had an overgrown tree beside it, hiding half of the sign.

Luke's mother, Katie, looked around at their new surroundings as they entered the small yet bustling town. Everyone was outside and moving and doing things, probably extra busy due to all the new college kids entering the town for the next year.

Katie stopped at a red light, looking at Luke and then the streets around her, "there's some bad mojo here." She said softly looking at her son.

Luke laughed, "sure, mum."

"I'm serious!" Katie exclaimed, looking at Luke who pushed his hair from his eyes.

"Mum I know you think you're psychic, but it's gonna be fine, I'll be fine." Luke smiled, looking at his mother, who had the same blond curls and bright blue eyes. "I promise."

Katie sighed, her hand going to the cross around her neck as the light turned green. Luke's hand did the same, feeling the chain through his shirt, he was raised to believe in what he wanted to, and Luke wasn't a heavy supporter of God, he thought there could be some sort of God but he didn't really care.

They followed the street signs towards the College Dorms and ended up on Montrose Way, where three large dorm buildings stood, old looking with bright flowers outside and two large oak trees either side of the entrances.

They parked up, before getting out and Luke took out his dorm key that was sent to him, as well as his college pass that would allow him to get in and out of the college. Luke and his mum both got a box from the car boot, one of Luke's photographs and hair products etc and one full of clothes. Then they headed inside the busy dormitories, the walls being light blue and a wooden trim around the top and bottom.

Luke's dorm was on the top (fourth) floor, so they took the large wooden stairs up to his floor. They walked down the corridor, and right to the end where Luke's dorm was. The door was already wide open, Luke's roommate already in there and unpacking his laptop from his bag.

Luke bit his lip before he opened his mouth, "hey."

Luke's roommate looked up and grinned, "hey roomie."

"I'm Luke." The blond said, putting his box down before he stuck his hand out for the mystery boy to shake.

"I'm Ashton, do you two need some help with your stuff?"

Katie smiled, "that's sweet, yes we'd like some help."

"Great." Ashton smiled, already seeming to be a kind and helpful kinda guy, someone Luke needed as a friend in his life.

Ashton helped them get all of Luke's boxes and after the last one, they stood in the dorm room. Katie took out an envelope, handing it to Luke, "here's two hundred dollars until your debit card gets here on Monday."

"Thanks, mum." Luke smiled, hugging his mum tightly. "I'll miss you, I'll come home at Christmas."

"Good, me and your dad will miss you like crazy." She kissed Luke's cheek, "I'm so proud of you Lu."

"Thank you." Luke smiled, kissing her forehead before saying, "now go, you better start the drive home."

Katie huffed, "kicking me out already."

"It was good to meet you, Mrs Hemmings," Ashton called as Luke walked his mum to their door.

"You too Ashton, look after my baby," Katie said, Luke sending her a glare. Then she looked at Luke, lowering her voice, "remember, wear what you want, I know you dressed down today but still, don't be afraid to wear what you feel comfortable in."