Chapter 15: Together We Stand

MICAH

I sat the table with Olivia, silently counting to 10 to calm down from Travis' rude ass mother. I could hear muffled arguing coming from down the hall near the kitchen. Olivia excused herself to do another tasked so I decided to finish setting the table solo. Just as I was finishing up, Mrs. Barron walked in carrying some food. She put the food down and headed out giving me a brief moment of relief.

The moment was short lived as she turned at the entrance to the dining room and looked at me. I decided to ignore her as long as she didn't speak, but of course her silence didn't last.

"I hope you don't think this means something"

"Always find that I never know what it is you're talking about"

"I won't stand by and let you ruin my son. I know what's best for him and some trash whore like you isn't it. He deserves a woman of elegance and grace. Something I'm sure eludes you"

"Hmm" I paused to look at her before going back to the table "For someone who wants so much for your son... you sure are finding the worst ways to get it. I mean I didn't have a mother but I'm pretty sure the more you act like a rude arrogant bitch to the people he loves the father he's pulling--- No. The farther it is that YOU push him away. I'm no expert but I definitely know that"

I put the last knife down before walking out and to the nearest rest room. I turned the water on and paced back and forth trying to calm myself. I decided to call my mom for some advice.

PHONE:

"Keiki" she spoke in her native tongue "What's wrong? Did that lolo kau do something?"

"Not really ma" I sighed "She just continues to say how much I'm not good enough for her son"

"Don't let it get to you my keiki"

"I just know my temper and I don't know how much longer I can deal with it"

"You don't have to force yourself past your breaking point. Travis will clearly understand. Just always handle yourself with class and dignity. You work so hard to get it keiki. Never let anyone belittle you into thinking otherwise"

"Okay makua"

"Now go be the beautiful woman I raised you to be. Shine brighter the more they hate"

"I love you ma!"

"I love you too baby!"
:END

I took a deep breath before taking a selfie.

ForeverQueenB: "When they go low, we go high" — First Lady Michelle Obama 👑

I put my phone in my pocket before walking out of the restroom. I was surprised by Travis leaning against the wall across from the door on his phone. He smiled at me before putting his phone down and reaching for my hands. I grabbed his and he pulled me close before kissing my lips.