"We should pull over," Madison suggested.

   Tris maneuvered to the side of the road. She hopped out, piping the front roof of the ambulance. Heat radiated out enough to fry my skin if I got too close. Christian pulled up beside us. "The Ambulance is done," I said.

   "Looks like it," Christian commented.

There was no point in trying to play mechanic. "Pop the trunk," I tapped the car. Christian popped it open and I put our individual bags in it. "Let's get in and try to make it there in one peace." We would be all smashed together, Madison sitting on Tris lap.

Christian drove off the highway at the next exit. It was hot and cramped and after five minutes I was ready to climb out. The area had a desert vibe. It would feel this way from here on out. Arizona was no better.

Several blocks later and we were next to a gas station. There were no vehicles in site but the walking dead. Driving further along,

   "Not much business around," Christian said, looking in varies directions.

   "That's normal for Victorville. Hot and empty but cheap as hell to live in." Tris pointed out, as a few tumbleweeds moved across the street. "Slow down. Those weeds can make you regret passing through them."

   He slowed as we let them pass. When we had full view I noticed a public library with a few cars in the lot.

   "Mom, look." Brennon perked up. "Can I get a few books."

   "I don't know sweetie. It might—"

   "I think that's a good idea. I need to find a book too," Tris said.

   Madison pursed her lips, indecisive and looked to me. I shrugged. "I don't mind either way."

   Sighing, she gave in. "I guess it wouldn't hurt. Hopefully." I heard her whisper that last word.

   "Great." Christy cheered. "I have to use the restroom anyway."

   We parked facing out in the parking lot. We took our weapons and left our belongings in the trunk. Tris stared around and then nodded. I'm sure she was using her senses to make sure our car was safe from thieves.

   "We take no risk. And we stay sharp." Tris eyes studied each of us.

   "I will lead inside," Madison shot out.

   We all three agreed to share equal responsibility. Tris frowned but nodded.

   Step in front, "stay between Tris and Felicia," she instructed her daughter.

   "Wait," I said, walking over to the pick up truck. It was excessively large and black. A truck you typically saw men driving and on rare occasions a woman. Putting out my knife, I reached for the door. Christian came up behind to cover me. "We should get an extra vehicle now," I explained.

   "You're right," Madison agreed.

   The door swung open and as I expected, a walker was inside. A man who looked in his early thirties with a Long mustache, reached out for me. He was a foot above me. I yanked at his coat, forcing him to fall to the ground. Quickly, I came down on the walker plunging my knife into is slushy skull. His spoiled blood, painted my knife. My stomach hurled, but I held my content in. I crawled off him.

   Christian helped me stand. "I'll circle the truck before we try to get in." He did so and gave a thumbs up. "All good."

  The back was pickup style, the front having no middle console, able for three to sit up front. There was a back seat roll. Felicia took a step onto the stepping rail that was a foot of the ground. I swung my body up, taking a seat. Wiggling my eyebrows at Christian, "my kind of ride," I said. I searched for keys. "Check his pockets."