Itsy Bitsy Stupid Heart

"Have you talked to her yet?"

The sound of Sophie's voice brought Angelo back to consciousness. He had been starring at his cup of coffee for so long that he hadn't even remembered he wasn't the only one at the table.

He could have sworn he was so attentive when Sophie invited him out for coffee but he had no idea how easily distracted he was going to get. He was always easily distracted since he got out of the hospital.

To think that he was going to be elated to even be bothered by anything else when he got out. Angelo had a lot of things on his mind, a lot of thoughts that just wouldn't go away.

He raised his brows, leaving his gaze on Sophie for a while. He heard her, he was sure he did, he didn't just know what to say, he didn't know if he should say anything.

Sophie raised a brow at him, she needed an answer.

"What?" Angelo asked.

"Come on Angelo, you've been stirring your coffee and lost in space since we got here. It's called coffee for a reason, you're supposed to drink it while it's warm and not wait for it to get cold."

Angelo exhaled.

"I just - I have a lot on my mind that's all."

He rolled up the sleeves of his sweatshirt. He had to get used to dressing so normal anyway, at least till he got his doctor's approval to get back to working. Ever since he got back, all Angelo ever did was rest, and even if it gave him enough time to think, it was so tiring.

"Even the more reason you should talk to your wife. You owe her an explanation."
Angelo scoffed.

"Angelo. You can't just act like what happened didn't happen, it's been almost a week since you got home, since those pictures got out. "

Angelo rubbed his face gently, of course he didn't forget, no one ever let him. At that moment, hashtag Patgelo was all over the internet, that was what the public referred to the "romantic" relationship between Angelo and Patricia since the pictures of their kiss at the garden got out. There were a few fan pages everywhere, and blogs stirring up a lot of dramas and conversations that were far from being the truth.

That damned photographer
If only Angelo knew who took those photos.

"I know Sophie."
He returned his gaze to her after taking a deep breath.

"Then what are you waiting for?"

"I don't know what to say, especially to her, and it's not been easy to speak to her either. It's like she's avoiding me."

That one was for sure. Ever since the pictures got out, Anna had refused to have the slightest bit of eye contact with Angelo. She made herself unbelievably scarce and totally invincible. It was like she wasn't even there, or was it after she had stopped by at the hospitals

"Of course she doesn't." She took a sip from her coffee.

"There's a random picture of her husband and his ex kissing spreading around for the whole world to see. Not only does everyone know you're a cheating husband, there are people trolling her for not being good enough. Everyone is suddenly rooting for you and that lady. Who would not want to? It's better than getting married to an Atian isn't it? People are beginning to think the rumors about the company being the only reason you got married to Anna in the first place are true. There are fan pages for you and Patricia on every social network. Many people think she's better for you, no one would take an Atian's side over a human's Angelo, and you practically just put Anna in a tough spot. Especially when she likes you."

Angelo laughed. Sophie shrugged her shoulders, taking another sip from her cup as she folded her legs gently on one another.

"I don't think you have an idea what you're talking about Soph." He reached for his coffee cup and took a sip from it. It burned his tongue from how he drank it hurriedly.

He took a hard swallow right after and a sigh followed.

"I think you have a wrong impression about Anna. She's completely incapable of liking anyone besides herself. She hates me, and even worse, the idea of being with me. I doubt she even cares."

Sophie scoffed and took another sip from her coffee and slowly dropped the cup back on the table.

"My super sweet naive baby brother." She said. "You can't help yourself from not knowing anything can you?"

"Come on Sophie."

She raised her head to him.

"Angelo, you suffered FMF for over thirty years and you were scheduled for an emergency kidney transplant, then all of a sudden you magically healed yourself and didn't need one, you also longer have FMF? How often does that happen to anyone?"

Angelo paused for a while. He was struggling to understand where Sophie was driving at.

" I don't - I don't understand, "

"Angelo, miracles like that don't just happen. There is no cure for the disease you suffered. You of all people should know that, and failed kidneys don't just repair themselves overnight."

"What does that have to do with Anna?"

Sophie shook her head. She dropped her legs and leaned closer to the table.

"Are you really that stupid?" She asked him.

Angelo exhaled and rolled his eyes. Why didn't he understand what it was she was trying to say.

"Can't you read between the lines?" She asked him. "You have an Atian wife Angelo, and you suddenly aren't sick anymore, you think it's a coincidence."

Angelo lowered his brow at her. He tried to make sense of what she was saying.

Sophie exhaled and reached for his hands.

"Talk to Anna, you have to be a better man than Dad was." She rubbed them gently with her fingers. "It's all I've ever hoped for, and I'm sure it's what Dad would have wanted."

Angelo raised his gaze to her. Sophie slowly took her hands away from his with smile on her face.

"I have a doctors appointment in twenty minutes brother." she grabbed her bag.

"I'm really sorry I can't stay with you any longer. But I'd call you and come visit some time."

She got up and walked towards Angelo and kissed him on his cheek.

"I love you okay?" She squeezed his cheeks. She didn't wait for a confirmation from him before she turned and walked away from the room, leaving him sitting there, all by himself.

All in his thoughts. What on earth did she mean?