The Truth

"Welcome home young sir."

Angelo drew in a deep breath, staring back at the valet who in turn, smiled brightly at him.

He took a moment to examine the interior of the mansion he was about to walk into.

He never knew his father had so much.

Was he going to live here?

That was all he had asked himself through the ride from the hospital.

Was this what his father meant when he said he was bringing him home to his other family?

"Please take his things inside." He heard his father tell the butler as he stared in amusement at the cupid fountain in the centre of the estate.

Everything was happening so fast.

Too fast for an eight year old whose house was just burnt down, whose mother was burnt to death right before his eyes, an eight year old who spent the past one month trying to heal from the burns on his arm.

He sure was really strong. Strong enough to not cry or show how hurt he was.

"Has he said anything since the incident?"
He heard a man ask his father.

"Not a word. I still think this is too sudden for him. I couldn't leave him there all alone."

"You did the right thing. I'm sure Juliana would understand."

Angelo felt the urge to look up...almost like something was drawing him, calling him.

He inhaled sharply when he spotted a woman staring down at him from the balcony on the highest floor.

"Angelo?" He quickly looked away at the sound of his fathers voice. "Let's go inside."

He swallowed hard, stealing another quick glance at the balcony as he approached the front door but the woman was gone.

The interior of the house was nothing like he'd ever never seen before. He let his eyes move from the gold chandeliers, to the paintings on the wall, his mouth slightly open.

"Is that him, mum?" The soft voice of another boy snapped him out of his trance.

He turned to face the tiny boy that stood beside the woman from the earlier. He could see her clearly now.

With her frowning eyes and down turned lips, It didn't look like she was happy to meet him.

"Nanny?" She called out to the older lady behind her. "Please take Micheal to his room."

"Yes, Mrs Trusk." The nanny walked towards the boy, a small smile on her face.

"Come on Micheal." She reached for his arm. Angelo watched her pull him gently beside her as she lead him out of sight.

The could feel the woman's cold gaze on him even as the nanny took the little boy away.

"Angelo?" He turned to face his father at the sound of his name. "I want you to meet my wife, Juliana. She's going to be your new mother from today." He added,a bright smile on his face.

Angelo slowly turned to face the woman.

He could feel his heartbeat accelerate as her eyes accessed him. She was silent but it was deafening.

And then after a moment, she spoke up.

"So this is him?" She asked. "He's lucky he looks nothing like his ugly tramp of a mother." She remarked.

"Juliana!" It was the first time he heard his father raise his voice.

He swallowed hard.

"What? He knows his mother was your mistress already. It's no suprise. He knows he is illegitimate."

"That's enough please." He watched his father massage his temples as he turned to the older man who stood in front of the door. "Morris?" He called.

The older man rushed towards them,his head slightly lowered.

"Could you take Angelo to the play room please?"

"Of course sir." Morris turned to Angelo. "Come with me young master."

Angelo looked at his father, his eyes asking if it was safe to go with him. Nathan nodded.

And even as he walked away with Morris,he would hear Nathan and Juliana exchange words in a not so discrete manner . He could hear exactly what they said.

He was the problem.

"Don't be scared." He muttered under his breath as he followed Morris down the hall,holding on nightly to his toy train as they stopped in front of a huge white door. He watched Morris open it and step aside,gesturing for him to walk in. He entered the room slowly,feeling his eyes widen.

It had to be the most amazing room he had ever been in.

It was perfect, adorned with all kinds of toys.

Blue was his favorite colour.

He could feel a smile fighting its way to his mouth. He reached for the bandaid on his forehead and then traced his fingers through it.

"Who do we have here?"

He felt his smile fade as a boy walked up to him. He looked older, and a lot like Nathan. He stared at him.

"You must be Angelo." The boy stretched his hand towards him and the first thing angelo noticed was the sincerity of his smile.

He looked at his hand.

"That's your brother, Andre." He heard the Morris say.

"Older brother." The boy corrected looking up at Morris... "Older brother, Andre." The smile remained even as he said this.

"Older brother." Morris repeated.

Andre turned back to Angelo.
"Technically, because I'm ten."

Angelo wasn't sure if smiling back was a good idea. He had no idea who to trust. All he knew was that the people in this house would have a hard time accepting him.

"Okay I should leave you two. Play carefully." Morris announced as he moved away from the door. Angelo watched the door close slowly behind him.

"You going to shake me or not?"

Angelo looked at his still stretched hands and then slowly placed his hands in his, shaking him.

"Something tells me we'd get along very well brother."

Brother?

He could get used to this after all. He liked the sound of that.

Brother.

He smiled a little.

"Come on, let's play captain."

He watched Andre walk to the toy train.

"I'd teach you. Come on."

Angelo wanted to play. He rushed to the toy train too. He was excited even though he sucked at showing it.

This had to be the new beginning he dreamt of, a happy beginning.