Chapter 23- FP2

31/8/18

I was sat in my hotel room doing some work when I heard Stoffel and Nando talking outside my door. "I'm going to go talk to Elizabeth before we leave," I heard him say, he walked in as I continued working and quickly shut the door and left again. I looked at where he had just been standing and laughed.

 "What happened? You look like you've seen a ghost," I heard Nando say "no, I didn't. I'm just shocked at her multitasking skills," Stoffel voiced. Nando laughed "she was literally watching Netflix, making a PowerPoint and writing questions for an interview all at the same time," Stoff said, exasperated. I giggled at how shocked he could sound and got up to open the door. 

"I'm done being an alien now. You can come in and give me a kiss before you leave," I teased, he pulled me in and gave me a quick peck "I'll see you later."

FP1

I have a few short interviews with Lewis, Charles, Kimi and some other drivers in between now and FP2. I'm not very excited about the one with Lewis, but I'm quiet happy about the RedBull drivers. Their pace is unbelievable here in Italy and so is the heat. Charles was well enough to drive again after the accident in Belgium and he was doing amazing here too. 

I continued to watch the tv in the motorhome. Watching the cars winding round the circuit, perfectly executing each turn at miraculous speeds. I almost didn't realise it was time to go to the interview circle.

"Max where are you finding the unbeliveable race pace you and Daniel have this week?" I asked Max "Well we were behind by a few races in upgrades and the team have finally put them in," Max explained simply. "Has the Renault power unit been performing well so far this week?" I questioned "there's been no problems so far, which means I have no cause for swearing yet," he joked.

"Charles, it's nice to see you driving after the accident in Belgium. You are also doing well so far in FP1, are you excited to see what else your car can do in FP2?" I asked "I'm always excited to see how far I can push the car, I think after Belgium I need to try my best to get everything out of it," he smiled, I could see racing made him really happy. "Well good luck in FP2 then," I smiled taking the microphone from his hand, he gave me a wink and moved on to his next interview.

FP2

So far practice 2 had been going well too. 

Until Lewis had a horrible accident. The moments coming up to it seemed to go in slow motion, everyone in the room saw where it was going. At that moment my heart began racing, butterflies flew around aggressively in my stomach. Suddenly it all sped up again the minute his Mercedes hit Marcus Ericsson's Sauber and was launched into the air, flipping over before landing on the ground, upside down. The car was in pieces, everyone was silent. Waiting for someone to do something, Marcus got out of his car to help Lewis seeing the wreckage that was once Lewis' car. 

When I finally processed what was actually happening my mouth opened wide and my hand went up to cover it. A sob escaped my mouth, worrying for Lewis and relief as it wasn't Charles or Stoffel. 

We waited patiently for Lewis to get out of the car when they had turned it over, it was eerily silent. A cloud of sorrow seemed to overcome the whole paddock, it was a replica of Ayrton Senna's accident, I couldn't even move I was so overcome with worry. The session had been red flagged and I could see both Stoffel and Charles walking in. But I continued to watch the tv waiting for Lewis to show a sign of life, he lay in the cockpit until the stewards got him out. 

"Hey, Eli we're here and we're safe," Stoffel tried reassuring me, he put his hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off and started running. "You have to let me go with him!" I screeched, out of breath as I watched an ambulance driver start closing the door. "Are you a family member?" He asked "the closest to it, that's attending this race," I lied "get in," the driver ordered. 

I gripped Lewis' hand tightly, trying to show someone was there. We reached the hospital and Lewis was wheeled out of the ambulance and rushed off somewhere. "Miss you'll have to wait in her until we know what's going on," the previous man said, stopping me in the waiting room. I collapsed onto a nearby chair and stared at a slight mark in the wall.

A few hours later... 

"Mrs. Hamilton!" A doctor called, I didn't even bother to correct him, I was too tired for that. "You can see your husband now, he's awake and responding," the doctor informed me. My whole body relaxed, I don't know why I'm even reacting like this Lewis cheated on me. But when the doctor said Mrs. Hamilton the butterflies fluttered once again. For the second time I'm falling for an ex-hookup who cheated on me and worst of all what about Stoffel. 

I cautiously approached Lewis' room, trying to recollect myself and not go in crying. I knocked lightly on the door "Come in," a weak and familiar British accent spoke. 

I couldn't help it, another quiet sob escaped my lips as I opened the door to see Lewis. His right arm was in a cast and his face had a few cuts as well as his left arm. 

What I did next was the biggest mistake of my life.

I ran toward him, lightly moving one of his curls out of his face. I smashed my lips to his, the familiar scent of his cologne filled my nose. The taste of his lips, reeled me in. I felt his working arm wrap around my waist as my two hands stayed on either side of his face.