Homecoming

-1 Month Later-

SAM

Being home with Ravyn doesn't do anything for her nerves.

It's not hectic in retrospect. She's not rushing around for things and or struggling with the stress of work. She's caught up on everything and she's done what she has to do. It's just, well, she has to stare her down all the time.

Tom had to take off because it was imperative that he go to a few meetings. With everything that's been going on and having been in the hospital for almost a month he had to make sure everything was okay with his future projects. So that left her feeling like she had to have eyes on Ravyn almost 24/7.

Evan has been there in Tom's place and she's liked the company but she doesn't know how to explain to him that as a mother she's never going to relax and she wishes he would stop asking her to. But she gets that he wants to help so she sort of just lives through her annoyance.

Alaina sits down across from her at the table.

"You're my bestfriend." She looks up from Her coffee.

"I know."

"Then that means you know I have to be honest at all costs."

"About?"

"When is Evan going home? He's...nice. He is but I don't know if I can take it anymore."

"He's only been here for three weeks."

"I know but it feels like a lifetime. He's so...he just...he hovers. It's odd. And it's not just you or Ravyn he hovers around everyone."

"Maybe because he can tell you're feeling some type of way about him being here. You think about that?"

"This is also true but you can't tell me you don't feel it too. It's...odd. I don't know why but it is."

"Just give it a real chance? For me? We're finally home and settling and he's helping while Tom is gone. This whole thing has been hard on everything and well, I think he just wants to be around us."

"I think that's an understatement." She rolls her eyes. "Where's Ray?"

"Still knocked out from the pain meds. Last night was rough. I should be sleep too but God knows I love torturing myself."

"Apparently because Evan is coming over tonight."

"Evan is here. He's upstairs in my bed, on my side. All on my side like just...laying there."

"On your side? No one sleeps on your side but you."

"Apparently not. My side has become our side."

"And you still want him here? You don't make sense."

"I'm trying something new...trying to be less stiff. Feeling things out."

"What you're doing is putting us all through psychological torture."

***********
She sits in the rocking chair with Ravyn in her lap. She's laid out on her chest as she rocks both of them and rubs her back. It's quiet and she knows Ravyn is tired but doesn't want to fall asleep. All she's done is sleep and she's sure she hates it but can barely fight it when the meds kick in.

"You're gonna get better real soon and then they'll be no more sleeping and yucky medicine pain. We just have to give your body time to get it together." Ravyn groans a little in response and she uses her other hand to rub her hair.

Her phone rings. Tom.

"Hey."

"Hi. How did the meeting go?"