One and Only

A/N: Sorry it took me so long! I've been crazy swamped with classes and trying to graduate but I love you guys for voting and reading and commenting. I'm so happy that you think this story is worth it and I try to give you all that you deserve!

-M

TOM

"Ravyn has come down with a very serious case of the flu. It's sort of rare that babies her age get it but she does. But she also is dealing with a serious case of pneumonia."

"How did she get pneumonia?"

"The flu in babies usually leads to it."

"So what do we do?"

"She's barely a year old and it's dangerous for her to be this sick. We're going to keep her for a few days, monitor her and start giving her antibiotics. We started with Motrin to start to deal with the fever first." Ravyn is in his arms and leaned against his chest. She's calmed down but makes little noises here and there. "I'll be back in a little while to check on her."

"Thank you." The doctor leaves. "I'll call Alaina and tell her how everything is going. Your mom too. Get some coffee on my way back." She leans down to kiss Ravyn's hair.

"I'll be back soon." She leaves and he sighs.

"Everything is gonna be okay. The doctor is gonna make sure everything gets better." She sort of whines and takes a deep breath. "I know. It sucks."

She sits up a little and points to the IV in her arm before looking to him.

"Out."

"No, we have to keep it there so you can get better. Don't you want to get better?" She pauses slightly, her brown eyes looking to him then her arm.

"No. Out." She points again and he can't help the small smile that comes to his face.

"Come here. Let's lay down." He maneuvers her so she's higher up on his shoulder; keeping her close and being mindful of the IV as he scoots up and leans back on the bed.

"You and me are gonna hang out and I'm gonna make sure everything goes okay. Especially since mommy will kill me if I don't."

"Mommy..."

"She'll be back soon. You know, sometimes I think you don't like me. You love mommy more than me." She gives him this look where she pushes her eyebrows together and pouts her lips a little.

"My daddy." He smooths her wild curls back and kisses her head. He smiles.

"Your's."

***************

SAM

-Flashback-

"Mommy I don't feel good." She groans, stopping at the doorway of her parents room. A cough takes through her chest and it feels like she's on fire. Her head is swimming and she feels like she's got space up there.

"Oh honey, what's wrong? Come here..." She moves over to get up on the bed. Mommy always makes her feel better. Especially when she rubs her back and her temples. Those are her favorite times. "You are warm. What else is going on?"

"My throat feels like scratches and my head feels like space. I can't breathe out of my nose, why?"

"Probably a little swollen. Everything is. Babe, do we have a thermometer somewhere around here?"