Sides

TOM

Sam is leaned against him with her head on his shoulder as they sit in the waiting room.

She's been quietly crying for a while now and her arm around him is tight like she doesn't want him to go anywhere. So he sits with an arm around her shoulders and his hand steadily rubbing her arm. It's the only thing keeping him stationary. Emma is at his side as well, stock still. People move around them and come and go and it all seems so overwhelming.

The idea that they're supposed to sit here while their kid is in there by herself is heinous. This is their baby, and they've been there with her every step of the way so it's not fair that they wouldn't be during this. Especially during this because other parents get colds and theirs gets pneumonia or whatever new has developed and they have to be here. In a waiting room.

"I'm going to take a walk...maybe get some coffee." Emma stands and walks away.

"Tell me she's going to be okay." He speaks up and she sniffles.

"She's...going to be okay." She didn't sound convinced but she probably said it so he would be comfortable. Comfortable enough to keep going. Her phone starts to ring and she ignores it. He grabs it from her lap and answers.

"Sam? Why the hell haven't you answered? Alaina told me Ravyn is in the hospital?"

"It's Tom. Sam is...she's upset. I'm sure she would have answered any other time."

"Tom...what's going on?"

"She was getting sick and her fever wouldn't go down. We brought her to the Children's hospital but it got worse. She was having trouble breathing and then we were pushed out of the room. We don't know what's going on as of late."

"Oh my God...I'm on my way. I'm coming just stay calm okay? How are...how are you doing?"

"Barely keeping it together I'm afraid."

"That makes sense. Do you guys need anything?"

"Maybe bring Sam some warmer clothes. She's just got nightshorts on and it's cold in the hospital."

"Of course. I'll stop to get Alaina too. We'll be there soon."

"Okay." They hang up and he rubs her arm again. "Alaina and Danielle are on their way."

"We should have brought her here sooner. She was sick for practically two days before we brought her to the hospital. What is wrong with us?"

"It was a common mistake. We thought it was something small. Something we could take care of."

"You're an actor and I'm a businesswoman, we aren't fucking doctors. We should have brought her here sooner." She sits up and moves away from him. "We were stupid and our baby is in there without us because of it." She tried to wipe her face but it doesn't work. She crosses her arms over her chest and stares straight ahead.

"Sam you have to be strong. I know it's hard and it seems easy to blame yourself and me right now but we never could have foreseen something like this."

"I can't be strong. Not right now. Not right now. Don't ask that of me." She shakes her head and it feels like his chest is on fire.

They quiet down for a few moments. They're both messes and he's sure they look wild to other people crying their eyes out in a waiting room with pajamas on. Something comes to his head and he sniffles out a little laugh.

"Remember when she was smaller she would scoot herself up until she was hanging off my shoulder? And when I would move her she got upset?" She nods.