Law is Law [Part two]

3 Years Later

Your POV

A lot has happened in the last three years. After I resigned at the law firm in Seattle I moved to New York City and started working there. In New York I got way bigger cases and I'm proud to say that I'm at the peak of my career.

I've made a big name for myself and I was listed under the top 10 lawyers in New York by various magazines and incorporations. I was always busy and at the age of 28 my career was my top priority.

As for Ross Lynch, well, he was doing fantastic. I heard his name a lot even though he's in Seattle. He's defending the right people now and he's defended various raped victims. I saw him two years ago at my law firm's building here in New York. I have no idea why he was here, but I avoided him like the plague. At that time I'd only been here for a year.

He's never tried to make any contact and neither have I. For a long time I was paranoid that he'd tell someone my secret, but I've never heard anything of it.

"Thank you so much for this," the woman cried and suddenly tackled me in a hug. I smiled warmly and hugged her back. "You're very welcome. Now, go home with your husband and celebrate. He won't be bothering you again. He's going to be in prison for a long time," I said before I pulled away.

"Thank you so much," her husband said and also gave me a hug in appreciation. "You're both very welcome," I said. They both gave me another smile before they walked out of the court.

I let out a tired breath before I heard my name being called. I felt my throat close up as I realised who the voice belonged to and quickly started walking towards the door.

"Y/N, wait," I heard from right behind me before a gently hand grabbed my elbow. I spun around and my eyes met the hazel ones from 3 years ago.

"Ross," I breathed out and he smiled gently. Ross hasn't changed much. His body was more lean and his muscles slightly bigger than I remember. He had neat stubble and looked more mature in an Armani suite.

"Y/N, I thought I wouldn't catch you there for a second," he said with a gentle gaze. Pity. "Don't look at me like I'm broken. I'm not," I said sternly and he looked a bit taken aback. "Trust me, I know you're not. Look, I don't want to fight or cause trouble for you, but I thought that since we'd be working together again, we could try to get al-"

"I'm sorry come again," I cut him off and looked at him in shock. "I'm moving to New York and I'm going to be working at the same firm as you," he said and I blinked at him. "Why?" was all I could get out and he shrugged.

"They offered me a position here and the benefits are better with a bigger salary," he said and I let out a sigh. He was right there.

"Look, I know we left things really bad, but I'd like to make that right. I'm just asking for one coffee," he said gently and I contemplated my options. I wasn't ready for this. Not now.

"I can't," I shook my head and he sighed softly. "I know you're lying. Please, Y/N. I've changed so much. Just give me a chance to show you that I'm better now. I'd love to be friends with you again," he said and I sighed.

"Fine," I gave in and he grinned happily.

*~*~*

"Can I ask you something?" Ross asked a few minutes into our tense coffee and I nodded. "Yes," I answered and looked up at him. "Why did you leave so sudden? I remember you chased me out of the office and when I went to work the next morning your office was empty and they told me that you quit. But why?" he asked and I squirmed around uncomfortably.