Chapter 44

Pain radiates through her body, and she feels as if she can not open her eyes. Wherever she was, it was silent, only the hum and beeps of machines breaking the silence. Her eyes open, and the room around her is dark. She tries to move, but she feels as if she is paralyzed.

A door opens across the room, and an unfamiliar person rushes to her side, and begins to ask questions. Unable to speak, Tris just lays back again.

It was odd to be in her room alone; He had been many times before, but now, he knew that she would not come bouncing into the room any time soon. The night was restless for him. He wandered down the stairs at one point, and he did not realize how much time had passed. The sun shone into the house, lighting up the room in front of him. Nita's mother sat on the couch in front of him, and she looks incredibly confused when she sees him.

"Tobias," she frowns, "When did you get here?"

"Late last night," He responds, "I'm sorry. I couldn't go home."

"I'm glad you're here," She smiles softly, "Nita is in the kitchen."

He shuffles into the room, and Nita jumps when she turns and sees him, "You scared me!"

"When are we leaving?" He asks as he opens the fridge, looking for a drink. He had not eaten or had a drink in hours.

"I can be ready in five minutes," Nita responds, "Are you ready?"

"I don't want to show up and see her just laying there," He frowns, "But I don't want to show up and find out something that I don't want to hear."

"You can't avoid it," Nita responds, "I'm going to get my keys."

Their car ride is silent; He does not want to talk, and she has nothing to say. Nita was afraid that she would say something to make him lash out again, and even though she knew he would never hurt her, it scared her.

When they arrive, Christina is standing outside of her room. She had tears in her eyes, and Tobias's stomach drops.

"I can't look at her," Christina says as they approach, "Not after what she did to Will."

Tobias ignores her comment and pushes past her into the room. Uriah and Zeke were inside, both hovering over Tris's bed.

"You're too tough to die," Zeke smiles, and Tobias hears a small laugh.

"I would never leave you behind," She says, her voice weak.

"Four?" Uriah frowns as he turns around, "Where'd you go?"

Tobias does not answer, instead shoving past the boys and dropping to his knees beside the bed. She looked weak, and she was incredibly pale, but the smile that came to her face when she saw him was bright. She rests her hand on his face and says, "It's about time you showed up."

Tobias laughs and smiles back, leaning over and kissing her. He takes her hand in his and says, "I was here all night. As soon as I left you must have-"

"I'm joking," She smiles, her eyes suddenly filling with tears, "I'm just joking."

He wipes a tear off of her cheek right after it falls, and turns to see that everyone else had left the room, "I'm so sorry."

"You didn't do anything," Tris frowns.

"That's exactly it," Tobias sighs, "I ignored you. I pushed you aside. I didn't pay attention. And now you're hurt."

"I did this," She responds, the tears now flaking steadily, "I got myself into something I shouldn't have. I almost died."

"Well, good thing David was a lousy shot," Evelyn says as she enters the room, not bothering to knock, "You know, the minute police hear you're awake, they're going to question you. You shot and killed someone, they can't take that lightly."