Chapter 23

Tobias had to go home eventually, and he had to lift and get back on his normal daily routine. Tris said he should go, and when he wasn't with her, Nita, Christina, or Uriah was. She was having a harder time pulling herself out of bed every day, and usually someone was there to drag her out.

She went to school again Wednesday, and the rest of the week. She went to track practice, and even to her meet on Friday. Her performance there was not altered, but the minute she got home, she'd lose it again.

Caleb was coping better. He accepted it, and he understood that he needed to move on. Tris, on the other hand, was still trying to deny it half of the time, and the other half she was in a pit of despair. Now, it was Saturday, and she was watching Netflix with Christina.

"Do you know how to cut hair?" Tris asks randomly. Christina nods, and Tris jumps out of her bed and drags Christina into the bathroom, "My mom loved my long hair. I want it gone."

"Are you sure?" Christina asks reluctantly.

"A Little below my shoulders," Tris nods. She sits on the edge of the bathtub as Christina cuts her hair, thinking about her mother. She fights back the tears until Christina speaks again.

"Done," Christina smiles. Tris stands and looks at the long blonde hair covering the ground. Still, she feels empty. She thought change would be good, but she didn't feel any different. She looks in the mirror and runs her hands through her hair.

"It didn't help," Tris sighs.

"Did you really think it would?" Christina asks bluntly.

Nita walks into the room, and her eyes go from Tris to the hair covering the floor, "I like it."

Nita and Christina offer to help Tris clean up, but she tells them she can do it herself. As she cleans the hair off of the floor, she thinks more of her mother. Tris sits back against the wall when she finishes, and she stares at the wall in front of her.

She stands and walks over to the sink, and grabs the bottle of pills that the doctor prescribed to her. She was tired of feeling pained and empty, so she takes two. They had been begging her all week to do so, but she still was not convinced that she'd feel better. Tris opens the door and walks back into her room, and now Tobias had joined the two other girls. He was in shorts and a T-shirt, and he was still sweaty from whatever activity he had left her to go do.

"When did you do that?" He asks.

"Now," She frowns, "I needed it to be gone."

Everything was changing. Her life changed so much in such a short amount of time. She looked older with her hair shorter. Tobias knew that she would never be the same as she was before.

"I was sick of pretending," Tris frowns, "I still am."

She sat in the car next to Tobias, who dragged her out of her house. He claimed he had a surprise, and that she needed to get out.

"You don't have to," Tobias sighs, "Things aren't the same, I know that. You aren't the same, and I don't expect you to be."

She leans back into her seat and closes her eyes. Maybe if she kept them closed for long enough, she'd be able to move on. Tris isn't sure how long they drive for, but she opens her eyes when he shakes her. They were in a parking garage, and she frowns, "Where are we?"

"Come on," Tobias smiles slightly and gets out of the car. She reluctantly follows, and he leads her inside of a building connected to the garage. It was late, too late for anything to be open.

Tris realizes where they are as soon as she's inside. She can see the city through the large windows, and down the hall she sees the office that belonged to her father, "Why?"