Chapter 27

Caleb's eye was incredibly black and blue the next day. Tobias hit hard, and he wasn't the first person to find out.

Tris was dreading school as usual. She threw on leggings and a sweatshirt in the morning, but soon after realized that it was Tobias's. She changed into one of the sweatshirts she stole from Uriah and managed to drag herself out of the house. Everything she did took so much energy, and even taking her medication twice a day did not do anything to help. Tris felt like she was stuck in a pit and that she would never be able to escape.

When she walks downstairs, Nita is sitting on the couch. Tris sits next to her and sighs, "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened with you and Tobias, but I'm not mad anymore."

"We didn't do anything," Nita replies, "I promise you. I'm sorry I let him in, I wanted to make things better."

"Well he cried to me and then punched my brother," Tris laughs, even though she didn't find it funny, "I guess you could call that making things better. Come on, we're gonna be late for school."

Tobias wakes up with a headache, but he remembers everything from the night before. He knew he had plans to meet up with Nita tonight, so they could confront Caleb, but he wasn't sure how willing Caleb would be to talk now that he had hit him.

For some reason he decides to go to school, even though it was against his better judgement. No one was home when he left for the day, and he was grateful. Tobias could not stand to look at his father, and he knew he would do something he would regret if Marcus was home.

When he arrives at school, his first thought is to find Tris, but then he remembers that she broke up with him. He knew that she would not talk to him, especially because of the fact that he showed up at her house in the middle of the night while drunk, and then he punched her brother.

Tobias felt like shit already, but he feels worse when everyone's eyes are on him. He got dumped and was sure everyone knew about it. He sees Tris down the hallway, but he does not bother to try to talk to her. He knew that he shouldn't, and he did not want to make a scene. When he gets to his locker, Nita is waiting for him, "I don't think it's a good idea to be seen together."

"Just wondering if we're still on for tonight?" She asks.

"I'm out," Tobias sighs, "You can find out what they're doing, but I'm good with knowing that Caleb and Eric work for her. Who knows what she does, but I don't care."

Nita frowns at him, but nods, "Okay. I'll see you around?"

"That probably isn't a good idea either."

Tris found herself longing for someone. She was used to Tobias sneaking in late at night to lay with her, or her spending the night at his house so he could avoid Marcus. It had been a week, and Nita had stopped sneaking around. Caleb still disappeared every so often, but Tris didn't question it.

Track was almost over. Caleb was getting ready to go to college. Everything seemed normal again, except the fact that Tris never got to come home to her mother's hugs, and she never got to learn about the crazy cases her father had. Walking into her house always felt wrong, she felt as if it was empty, even if there were a hundred people inside.

Tris spent the past week hanging out with her friends. The few times that they all got together, Tobias didn't show up. She assumed that he was at the gym, or off doing something that no one knew about. He wasn't her boyfriend anymore, but she still worried about him. She couldn't stop him from moving on, but the thought hurt.

"So he cheated on you?" Maxine asks. Christina was filling her in on the week; She had only seen Tris and Tobias's fight at Zeke and Uriah's house.