Chapter 5

Will sat on her bed, scrolling on his phone, while Marlene watched Netflix and Christina was doing her makeup. She frowned as Will passed a blunt to Marlene. She didn't appreciate them making her room smell like weed, but she couldn't say that she hasn't done it before. Now was just not the time to get high.

"You're lucky my parents don't pay attention to me," Tris says to Will, and he shrugs.

"Eh, who even cares. It's not like it's bad for you," he responds and Christina rolls her eyes.

"Why don't you save it for a day where we aren't going out?" she asks her boyfriend. He doesn't respond, just laughs at something on his phone. They weren't stoners, just occasional smokers.

"Ow, Chris," Tris frowns as her friend pokes at her face, "Why do I have to get dolled up for this?"

"When Four sees you, I want you to look hot," Christina smiles and walks away, opening the windows and glaring at Will and Marlene. She continues to apply makeup to her best friend, but Tris starts to fidget in her chair, "Relax, I'm almost done."

Tris sighs. She would rather stay home with all of her friends, but half of them weren't here, and they were either at the school getting ready for the game or somewhere else random.

"Done!" Christina exclaims, "You look so good."

Tris looks at herself in the mirror and smiles. For once Christina didn't put ten pounds of makeup on her face. She puts on one of her cross country jackets, cropped leggings, and sneakers, putting her hair into two loose Dutch braids. Christina shakes her head and throws some of Tris's clothes into a bag.

"We are probably going out after, and you aren't wearing that," Christina says.

"I love you, but you are annoying," Tris smiles at her.

"I know. You'd die without me."

Tris shivers as she stands next to her friends. She is always cold, even when it is warm outside. The game was almost over, thankfully, since she really didn't understand football. All she knew was that they were winning by a lot and that Uriah and Zeke kept scoring. The crowd loved them.

"I was thinking we go back to Tris's house. But with everyone this time," Christina says and Tris snaps back into reality when she hears her name.

"I can get alcohol," Shauna smirks. Al stands next to her, giving her a weird look. He didn't really hang out with them that much anymore.

Tris zones out again, admiring number four on the field. She smiles as he jogs off the field onto the sideline, taking off his helmet. His coach puts his arm around his shoulder and they start to talk.

"Tris, you in?" Lynn asks.

"Uh, I guess. I think my dad went away for work and my mom had some kind of charity case like two hours away," Tris responds.

As the game ends, Marlene runs to meet Uriah at the gate. She jumps into his arms and starts telling him how good he did, even though she barely payed attention.

Tris is being jostled around by the crowd when someone grabs her arm.

"I'm glad you came," Tobias says lowly, his hand sliding down to her waist. In this crowd of people, no one can see it.

"We're all going back to my house," Tris smiles, "I'm assuming you'll be there?"

"Will do," Tobias smirks and Zeke walks up, his face sweaty.