Chapter 36

Tobias loved being alone; Of course he enjoyed spending time with Tris. Some days, no matter who he was with, he felt as if his head was going to explode.

The feeling of solitude was comforting to him. The moments in his life that he enjoyed usually were alone, at least during his childhood. Tobias appreciated his friends, but he never felt like he truly was comfortable when in a large group.

The burn in his arms as he lifted the weights distracted him from the insanity of his life. His mother kept appearing, his father was constantly on edge, and he could not keep his emotions contained. His lack of composure was starting to show, and he did not want to be seen in that state.

On the other hand, Tris's escape from reality was Tobias. He kept her sane, himself being one of the only level headed people she knew. It seemed as if he always knew what to say and how to act, especially in public. A few times she had seen him let himself go, but it was usually ephemeral.

Sitting alongside his mother in silence was awkward. Tris had not realized how far she had ran from her house until she was driving back toward it.

"I don't want to hold you for long," Evelyn starts, "I know what Jeanine Matthews is about. She is dangerous to you, to your brother, and to Tobias. My only interest is to protect my son, and you are involved with that."

"Is that all you have to say?" Tris responds.

"Tonight, seven o' clock,"Evelyn turns to Tris as she pulls up next to her house, "Meet me, with Tobias. He will know where I'll be."

"This is insane," Tris shakes her head. She pauses and looks up at Evelyn, "He will never come."

"I have every reason to believe that you can make him," Evelyn smiles. Tris quickly climbs out of the car, and Evelyn drives away. For a moment she does not move, only standing and attempting to process what had just happened.

Tris gets into her car, leaning over the steering wheel. She had left spare keys hidden inside, so she did not have to go in and deal with Nita again. She did not care if she was sweaty; Tris began to drive to Tobias's house. She knew he was bound to be home from the gym by now, and he had told her he had to finish packing some of his things.

When she arrives at his house, there is an unfamiliar car beside his. Tris does not bother to knock, considering Marcus was not home. She frowns when she sees Matthew sitting at Marcus's desk, typing away on his computer. He does not turn to look at Tris, but he quickly stops typing on the keyboard, "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Tris frowns. She crosses her arms as he turns to look at her, "I came to see Four."

"He's in a bad mood," Matthew shrugs, "But he always seems to be that way."

"You didn't say why you're here," Tris sighs.

"Well, once Four is gone, Marcus invited my mother and I to move in," Matthew smiles.

Tris frowns and shakes her head. She does not speak further to Matthew, instead walking down the hall and entering Tobias's room. She freezes in the doorway when she sees Zeke sitting on Tobias's bed, "Tris! Didn't know you were coming!"

"I didn't know you were here," Tris responds.

"Tagged along," He smiles, "That Matthew kid is creepy. Oh, and Four is in the shower."

Tris closes the door and sits beside Zeke, "Him and his mom are moving in. I know Four won't be here to deal with it, but I don't think he's going to be happy when he finds out."

"He already knows," Zeke shrugs, "He just rolled his eyes and went to get a shower. I don't think he cares at all anymore."