Chapter 9

Tris fell asleep in Tobias's arms that night. He was careful when he got up, still holding her, and he took her to his car. She moved a little bit when he set her in the passenger seat, but she didn't wake up. She was exhausted from her day, and he knew he had to take her home.

Her parents assumed that she went to a friends, so they didn't run after her. Tobias thought that was odd, but it wasn't his place to judge someone else's parents considering his were psychopaths.

He tapped her lightly to wake her up when he got to her house. Tobias smiled as she rubbed her eyes, still heavy with sleep, "I brought you home."

"My car," she mumbles.

"I'll take you to school tomorrow, don't worry about it," Tobias smiles and gets out of the car, going to the other side and opening the passenger door for her.

"Thank you," she says, her voice quiet, "For being there for me."

"Always," Tobias smiles and watches her as she walks into her house. He sits on the hood of his car for a minute, smiling to himself, then he gets in the car and goes home.

Tobias wakes up to the sound of his alarm and rolls out of bed. He had a heavy feeling in his gut, and he knew he was nervous for the day ahead. If Drew and Peter came back to school today, he would probably end up in the principal's office.

He showered the night before, so he just throws on a Penn State football T-shirt and the first pants he saw, preparing himself mentally for the day ahead.

His grades were slipping and he had to get them up, so last night he actually did his homework.

Marcus was already gone when he went downstairs. Tobias was grateful that he hadn't had a run in with his father in a while, but he knew it was bound to happen soon.

He rode in silence to Tris's house. He was worried that her emotions had gotten the best of her the night before, and that she wouldn't want anything to do with him today.

When he got to her house, she was already walking out of the door. She had a sad smile on her face as she climbed into the car.

"Good morning," Tobias says as she shuts the door. She turns to him and smiles.

"Good morning," she says, and then sighs, "I don't know if I-"

"You'll be okay. They might not even come," Tobias says as he starts to drive.

"I just keep thinking about Al and... I just... This sucks," She mumbles, turning to him. She looks at him longingly, but not in the way that someone would think. She wants his comforting words and his compassionate side, not the rough and sexy side.

"Al did that to himself. He made the decision. He couldn't live with what he did," Tobias says roughly, "It Isn't not your fault. It never was and it never will be."

Tris thinks about his words, then sighs, "I...never mind."

"No, tell me," Tobias glances at her for a moment, then looks back at the road.

Tris sits in silence for a few moments and then says, "I miss this. I miss you. I'm just not in a good place right now."

He looks over at her again, perhaps for a few seconds too long, "I'll wait for you. We can take it slow. Anything you want."

Tris was thankful that Tobias's car was actually warm. She was always frozen, but he had the heat turned up all of the way.

They arrive at school and get out of the car. Tris's heart pounds in her chest and she walks closely to Tobias.