Chapter 20

Track was starting again, and Tris spent most of her time running and doing school work. She had not hung out with her friends in a while, only Uriah when he came over to study with her. She helped him with calculus most of the time, considering she was very good at it and he was horrible at it. Uriah was not dumb, he just did not understand the point of the class.

Tobias and Tris had not seen each other in a while either. They'd text and call occasionally, and talk to each other in the halls, but they are both so busy that they could barely find time to sleep, let alone see each other. He decided to join track again this year at the last minute. Tobias was good, all-State good, but his football coach didn't want him running track his senior year. Tobias did what he wanted though, as he always had.

It was a Friday night, and Tris decided to stay home and catch up on her sleep. Just as she was about to lay down, she gets a phone call from Tobias.

"Where are you?" He asks as soon as she picks up the phone.

"At home," She frowns, "What's wrong."

"I need your help," He says and hands up. Tris feels her stomach drop. She had no idea what could have happened to him, and she paces in front of the door until she hears a car pull up.

She opens the door and is met by a bloodied Tobias. He had a bruise under his eye, and a cut on his lip and above his eyebrow, "What the hell happened?"

"Marcus," He scowls, "I didn't know where else to go."

She sits him down, and starts to clean his cuts.

"He was mad about something stupid and I just swung at him," Tobias sighs, "I've been so angry lately, I don't know why. It's never been this bad before. You should see him."

"I'm not worried about him," Tris frowns, "Just you."

"I hate him," He whispers, "He is ruining my life."

"Look at me," Tris says sternly, "You are stronger. You are above him. You don't need him or his approval."

"I'm turning into him," Tobias says.

"No you aren't," Tris scowls, "You are not him. You would never hurt me."

She hugs him, and he wraps his arms around her body, "I missed you."

Tobias and Marcus were at each other's throats constantly, unless Jeanine was around. Marcus pretended to be a model parent when she was there, but Tobias wasn't sure that he was fooling her. He was quiet most of the day at school, and he did not pay attention to any of his friends as they spoke to each other at lunch.

"Are you in, Four?" He hears Lynn ask, and snaps back into reality.

"A small party at Shauna and Lynn's tonight," Tris adds quietly, a small smile on her face. He was happy that she was feeling better, but he was incredibly distracted, so he never knew if she was faking it.

"Uh, sure," Tobias shrugs and they continue to talk. Tris stands up and beckons for him to follow, and they walk into the hallway.

"Are you Okay?" Tris asks once they are away from everyone else.

"No," Tobias frowns, "I'm not okay. I'm pissed off, and I can't stop fighting with Marcus. I'm stressed because of school and football. I never get to see you, and I'm sick of everyone's bullshit!"

Tris is not effected by his shouting, and instead she crosses her arms and gives him a pointed look.

"I'm sorry," Tobias sighs.

"Don't apologize," Tris replies, "I get it. Tonight will be a distraction, and you can stay with me."

The rest of the day goes quick, and the two of them make their way to Shauna and Lynn's right after school. Tobias did not know that Tris planned the get together to get his mind off of things, and she wanted to keep it that way.