Chapter 21

When Tris wakes up, her hair is still wet and her pillow is uncomfortably soggy, so she rolls over into Tobias. He groans, but doesn't move. She grabs her phone as the memories of the previous night flood in. She immediately calls Uriah, but she is doubtful that she'll get an answer.

"Tris, it's so early!" Uriah exclaims when he answers, "My head hurts!"

"Do you remember last night?" Tris asks angrily. She wasn't going to let him get hurt again.

"I remember getting shot with a paintball gun, but that's it," Uriah laughs.

"You were making out with Marlene!" Tris yells. Tobias opens his eyes and glares at her, "Are you stupid?"

"Did I really?" Uriah asks, but Tris can tell he isn't surprised, "Talk to you later Trissy."

He hangs up and she frowns, throwing her phone aside. Tobias holds his finger up to her lips, telling her to be quiet.

"It's not my fault you're hungover," Tris sighs, "And you aren't off the hook either."

"Your hair is wet," Tobias frowns, trying to change the subject. He didn't want to talk about the gun, or the reasons why he had it, "Now my chest is all wet."

Tris glares at him, and says, "Why do you have a gun?"

He looks back at her sternly. He didn't want to keep secrets or lie, he had too much respect for her to do that, "Because of my dad. He threatened to kill my mom before she left, he was waving a gun around at her. I just... I feel better knowing that I can protect myself."

Tris sighs and looks at him, her eyes soft, "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything to me," Tobias says, "It's legal...ish."

"It's not my place to ask questions," Tris smiles. She jumps out of the bed, and pulls her wet hair into a ponytail. The back of her sweatshirt, which she had stolen from Zeke and Uriah's house a while ago, was soaking wet.

Tris stole her friends sweatshirts all of the time. She was always cold, and they'd offer her something, and she'd just never give it back.

"That's Zeke's," Tobias frowns.

"Yeah," Tris smirks, "I've been secretly sleeping with him for the past year, and I took this the other day."

"You're funny," Tobias frowns.

"I was cold and he gave it to me, relax," Tris smiles. Her legs were bare, but the sweatshirt was long enough, "I'm cold now."

"Your parents aren't gonna like this," Tobias smiles, "How do you get away with having me stay over night?"

"My mom knows I'm not ten, and my dad doesn't pay enough attention to notice, but when he does I just ignore him," Tris smiles, "They've been worried about Caleb lately, so I'm under the radar."

Tris pulls on a pair of shorts and walks out of the room, leaving Tobias in her bed. She can't shake the smile from her face, but when she reaches the end of the stairs, it's replaced with a frown.

"Peter?" Tris says, dumbfounded. He was sitting on the couch next to Caleb, and her parents were nowhere in sight.

"Hey Tris!" Peter exclaims, "Long time no see."

"Beatrice, don't make a big deal," Caleb frowns, "He's my friend."

"Friend?" Tris scoffs, "Mom and dad would never be okay with this."

"This isn't your business," Caleb rolls his eyes.

Tris was in shock. Her brother was always a jerk, but she never knew that he'd stoop this low. Her body felt numb with rage, and she turns and goes back into her room. Tobias wasn't in her bed anymore, so she sits down on the edge of the bed, her legs hanging over the side. She felt upset, but there were no tears. She was angry, but she ran away from them. She didn't know what to think of the fact that her brother would willingly let someone who hurt her so bad into their home.