Chapter 3

Four knew that he shouldn't have done that in front of her brother, but messing with people was his specialty. He didn't want to hurt Tris, and he never would in a million years, he just likes to play games with people, watching their every move and reaction as a sort of entertainment for himself. He was sitting in his hot tub with Zeke and Uriah when he heard his father slam the door and start yelling. The brothers cringed and gave Four the most sympathetic look they could muster up. They truly felt bad for him; His father was the worst person they had ever met.

Marcus storms outside but his scowl is quickly replaced by a fake a smile when he sees Uriah and Zeke, "Hello boys...Tobias."

The look that Marcus gives his son would scare anyone else away, but lately, Four had started to become less and less afraid of his father as he grew stronger, "Marcus."

Marcus looks them all over for a few seconds before walking back inside, and Four's shoulders suddenly become less tense. Not many called him by his real name; He assumed most people did not know it. It shamed him; He didn't want to be called the name that his father screamed on a daily basis, and he didn't want to be reminded of the horrors of his childhood. He was number Four for all of the sports he played, and when Zeke started calling him so back in junior high, it just stuck.

"So," Zeke trails off, but then perks up, "Who was the lucky girl after the party? We know you snuck off early."

"Could it possibly be Tris? Again?" Uriah asks, sinking lower into the water, "You're getting attached. Don't hurt her, man. Anyone but her."

They all loved Tris like a sister. She was there for them all, caring for them when they were sick or hurt and she was a shoulder to cry on when things were bad.

"I won't," Four says, avoiding the original question, but the brothers knew the answer before they even asked.

The first day of school. For some of them, the last first day of high school they'd ever have. Tris drove separate from her brother, since he was in the grade above her and some seniors got senior sign in, where they could come in an hour later everyday. She was not excited for school, and she was even less ecstatic about having to wake up at six in the morning, five days a week.

Her jeans hugged her curves as she walked, a few of the school perverts staring at her as she walked past. She thought she was not pretty and did not have a nice body, but that was just her personal opinion.

"So tired," Christina mumbles over her cup of coffee, meeting Tris halfway though the parking lot, "Can not function."

"First day Chris, you have to do this one-hundred and seventy nine more times," Tris says to her best friend, chuckling at her.

"But I don't wanna!" Christina whines like a baby, pouting her bottom lip.

The two walk into school together, and they frown at the chaos that meets them. Already, underclassmen are running to their classes and the older students are crowding the hallways, gossiping and bragging about their amazing summers to one another. Will walks in behind them, placing his arm on Christina's shoulder.

"I wanna go home," he smiles at his girlfriend, "I hate all of these people."

"Ditto," Christina and Tris say.

They walk toward their lockers, getting ready to start the first day of being trapped in this brick prison, and they see Four and Zeke talking to some girls, but Four looks a lot more apathetic than usual.

"Hey Four, maybe we should ditch this place and go back to my house," the one girl smirks, getting way too close to him for Tris's liking. The girl's name is Molly, and her and Tris had been at each other's throats since kindergarten.