Chapter 12

Christmas Day was hectic. All of Tris's family was at her house, and everyone was talking and laughing, so she could barely hear her own thoughts.

Tobias's family was also at his house. Marcus bragged about Tobias and his football career, and none of his idiot family members knew that he was faking it. His father despised him, but wanted to make himself seem like an amazing father and person. Tobias was forced to converse with his cousins, most of whom he hated.

Tris was stuck on a crowded couch in incredibly uncomfortable clothes. They dressed formal for their Christmas celebrations, and her parents would kill her if she didn't look the part. So far, no one had mentioned what happened to Tris, and she guessed that they were all too careless to even think about how badly she was hurt. She has managed to keep her mouth shut about Caleb's arrest, even though she wanted to embarrass him badly.

Her dress itched and her head hurt from the crazy amount of Bobby pins she used to secure her hair. Tris's Aunt was telling a boring story about how amazing her son was at soccer, and Tris yawns and pulls out her phone. She finally got a new one, an Iphone eight plus, since she had her old phone for almost two and a half years. She texted the group chat of all of her friends.

'Incredibly bored. I wanna sleep' She sends.

'Come visit me! I'm bored as frick' Uriah sends back immediately.

'At least ur family actually talks to u, mine thinks I'm weird and keep telling me I'm going to hell' Lynn responds.

'That's bc they are all religious freaks!' Shauna answers.

Tris snaps to attention when Caleb elbows her, and she realizes that everyone is looking at her, "What?"

"They asked how track is," Caleb frowns at his sister.

"Uh, Okay. Boring. Apparently colleges are looking at me, I don't really know," She shrugs.

"Well, how is school? How are your friends? Do you have a boyfriend yet?" Her Aunt pesters.

"School is fine. My friends are... Well, honestly, all over the place right now. No, I don't have a boyfriend," She says apathetically. Her family must not care or pay attention to anything that happens in her life.

"Who was that boy Caleb mentioned?" Her grandmother asks.

"A friend. My dad's partner's son," Tris glares at Caleb, "He isn't my boyfriend. And he is going off to college soon."

"To play football. At Penn State," Caleb butts in, "But he's a trouble maker. Always messing around."

"And you totally didn't get... He's changed," Tris stops herself from exposing her brother. They give each other deathly looks, but Nita forces her way in between them.

"He seems nice, and he's cute," Nita smiles, "So, these cookies are like, really good!"

Tris is grateful that she changes the subject. Caleb and Tris always try to embarrass each other, and it usually ends up in them fighting. Tris sighs as her family continues to blabber, and she shoves cookies into her mouth. She wants nothing more than to be at Uriah's side, but her father would loose his mind if she even walked outside.

Eventually, everyone starts to either leave or get ready to sleep. Tris helps her mom clean up, and practically runs to her room after. Nita was in the shower, and Tris jumps onto her bed and lays there, face down. She drags her phone to her face when she hears it buzzing.

'Come over tonight?' Reads the text from Tobias. Tris smiles, but then starts to feel nervous.

'I'll try my best to escape.' She replies.