Chapter 29

Christina informed them that the room was put on lockdown, but Nita managed to escape when the chaperones went to see what happened. The room had gone silent quickly, and everyone was terrified. The party at Uriah and Zeke's was completely forgotten.

Tris sat in the hallway of the hospital. Caleb was in surgery, and she would not move until it was over. She was forced to speak to the police to give her account of the situation, but eventually she grew tired of their harassment and stopped answering. Tobias and Nita tried to convince her to change into the clothes that she had brought for the party, but they were unable to do so. It was only when a nurse told her that she was scaring the other guests did she get up to change.

The nurse let her into an empty room so she could wash the blood off of her arms and hands. Tris strips out of the blood soaked dress and into the jeans and tank top that she had packed for the party. Tears run down her cheeks as she scrubs her arms, and it seemed as if she could not get the blood off. The water was tinted pink, and she scrubbed for what seemed like hours.

"Tris," Tobias says, his voice sad. She turns and looks at him. He stood in the doorway, his shirt still a little bloody, "Your arms are red from you scrubbing. The blood is gone."

Tris does not speak. Even if she wanted to, she would not be able to get words out. She collapses into his arms, sobbing. She was not ashamed to be crying to him again, and she had no reason to be. She was losing everyone that she loved, and he was included.

Tobias guides her toward the bed in the empty room and sits her down. He sits beside her, and she wipes the tears from her face.

"Your aunt and uncle are here," Tobias says softly, "But you should stay in here."

"All I ask for is one chance to be happy again," Tris sighs, "And it is always ruined. I'm sick of being pitied by everyone."

"It's short-lived," Tobias responds. She looks over at him and leans her head on his shoulder. Her arms wrap around his, and she feels safe. With him, she actually felt safe. At home she could not; Being alone terrified her.

Tobias stayed with her for the entire night. Eventually they were asked to leave the room, so she sat down next to him on a bench in the hallway. She had spent way too much time in the hospital in the past few months, and the overwhelming smell of chemicals made her nauseas. Tris managed to fall asleep, and she leaned on Tobias as she slept. He was dozing off when she jumped awake, looking around and panicked.

"Hey," Tobias says sleepily, "You're with me. You're safe." 

Tris sits up next to him and pulls her arms away. They had been wrapped around his torso, and her hands were numb, "Is he out yet?"

Tris's uncle stuck behind while her aunt and Nita went home to get some rest and get better clothes for Tris. Tobias, who had drove Tris to the hospital, had changed into clothes from his car.

"I don't think so," Tobias yawns, "It's only been a few hours."

Tris sighs and leans back into his side. They sit in silence for a while longer until her uncle reappears.

"He's stable," He says, "But they don't know when he is going to wake up."

"I can't lose him," Tris frowns, "I want him to live."

"Beatrice you need to sleep," Her uncle sighs, "When Nita and her mother come back I'll take you two home."

"I can drive her," Tobias offers. Tris's uncle nods and Tobias stands, offering Tris his hand. She didn't have much to take with her. The dress was ruined, so a nurse took it to throw it out. Tris grabs her shoes and her bag and follows Tobias out. She was reluctant to go, but as long as her brother was stable and alive she might be able to get a few hours of rest.