Chapter 18

Of course Tris had no idea what was going on in the game. She never understood football, and she probably never truly would.

The game went well, and she was enjoying the Florida heat. She didn't want to go home to the cold, but she did miss her friends. In a day, they'd all be going home.

Shauna's flight got cancelled miraculously and she wasn't able to make it. Zeke was devastated, but he had other things to worry about so he got over it.

They had all went for dinner, and now they were back in the hotel, watching TV. Tris sat on her phone, on the bed next to Tobias. He sighs and looks at her.

"What?" She asks.

"Nothing," He smiles and rests a hand on her leg. She tenses, but then forces herself to relax. It was just Tobias, and she had no reason to be afraid of him.

There was always a constant nagging in the back of her head. She always had to try and overcome it, she constantly fought it. Now, she was losing the battle.

Tobias sensed that something was wrong, but Tris sat silently, so he didn't speak up. Instead, he held open his arms and let her fall into them. He didn't know what she was thinking, but he hoped that if he held onto her, she would be safe. He was afraid to leave her side, and she was scared that if he let go she would do something she would regret. It was almost as if someone took control over her body and mind. Tris felt empty, and lately she had often. She had a hard time feeling anything other than emptiness, but with him she felt a sense of being safe, and she felt love.

Yes, she could be happy. In those careless moments, where the two of them were having fun, she felt happy. But the moment she let her thoughts in, it all faded.

She forces herself to shake the feeling. She wants to be happy, and Tobias made her happy, so Why was she freaking out?

Tris smiles at him, "I... I don't want to be afraid."

"I'm not going to push you," Tobias sighs, "I don't want to make you do something you don't wanna do."

"I want to," Tris says nervously, her hand going to his cheek. He pulls her in and kisses her, and finally, Tris is able to let it all go.

The flight home was rough. There was a lot of turbulence, and Tobias clenched onto Tris's hand for dear life. It hurt, but she didn't say anything, because she knew he hated heights.

She was happy. Opening up again made her feel safe, and this time it wasn't rushed and lustful like it used to be between them. They used to be two teenagers, tearing at each other's clothes just to fulfill their needs, but it was now different.

Maybe soon she'd be able to be happy again. Her medication had finally started to kick in, but her mood swings were still noticeable to those who paid attention. Tobias could tell when she started to get overwhelmed, and he'd kiss her forehead or tell a cheesy joke with Uriah and Zeke to make her smile. The three of them worked together to make her happy.

Tobias practically ran off of the plane once they landed. He was glad to be off of it, but he realized that he'd go home to see his father and go back reality.

Zeke and Uriah already planned their 'welcome home' party, considering their mother was leaving again for work. Tris was actually excited about it, because she missed the way that things used to be.

She made her way home, and was greeted by her mother as she pulled in the driveway. Her mom immediately gives her a hug and tells her how much she missed her. Tris smiles and says, "I feel good, mom. I actually feel... amazing."

"Let's get you inside," Natalie smiles, "I got Chinese, and Caleb and his friend are in there."

Caleb had been spending a lot of time with Cara, and Tris rolls her eyes when she sees them sitting a little too close on the couch, considering he claimed they were just friends.