Chapter 40

"We found her outside."

Edward and one other man drag Nita into the room where David had been conducting several tests on Tris. Nothing out of the ordinary, he claimed. She was reluctant, but Caleb reassured her that she was not in any danger.

"Nita?" Tris asks, about to stand up, but David holds his hand out.

"I followed you," Nita replies, "I was sick of you sneaking off and not telling anyone where you were going."

Tris stares back at Nita, and David stands between them, his mouth pressed into a line, "Take her to my office. Evelyn, I'll meet you there soon."

Edward drags Nita out, but she fights against him. When they are gone, David turns back toward Tris and Caleb, "Continue with series B, I will be back as soon as possible."

Caleb nods with understanding, but Tris has no idea what they were doing to her. On a large screen in front of her, strands of DNA were displayed, and one of the people that was in the room originally continues to click on different parts of the model, a fascinated look on their face.

"This makes no sense," Caleb frowns as he clicks on a screen, "You are exactly what Jeanine has been looking for."

"What are you talking about?" Tris asks her brother, "Why is she even looking?"

"I don't know," He replies, "But I, like most other people, are missing a certain part of a sequence of amino acids. Technically, we all have a birth defect, but it isn't extreme enough to make a noticeable difference in every day life. Jeanine is developing some kind of serum, induced by inserting it into medications, that can... I don't know how to explain this... reroute the human mind. Mind control, in the grand scheme of things."

Caleb begins to whisper to the woman next to him, and Tris speaks again, "Why am I so special?"

"We've only seen it once before," the woman says, "You aren't missing the sequence. You're pure. David needs to be alerted."

She rushes out of the room, leaving Tris confused. She leans forward in her chair, her face in her hands.

A few minutes later, Edward returns to drag Tris to David's office. He does not speak along the way, occasionally looking over to glare at the girl. She notices a scar beside his eye, and another down the side of his face. Before she can stop herself, she asks, "What happened?"

"Your boyfriend," He frowns, "Then Jeanine. Mind your own business."

He pushes open the door to David's office without knocking. Nita sits uncomfortably across from him, her head snapping in Tris's direction.

"Your friend decided to follow you," David frowns, "We can't have just anyone knowing about this, now can we?"

"She's my cousin," Tris replies, "Whatever you think you're going to do... Well, don't waste your time. She won't say anything to anyone."

Evelyn leans against the desk and sighs, "How can we know to trust her?"

"Tobias does," Tris snaps. Nita looks down at her feet, then across to David, nervousness in her eyes. Tris continues to speak, her arms crossed tightly and a frown on her face, "If his opinion doesn't mean anything to you, then I wouldn't be here right now. Don't waste my time, Evelyn."

Evelyn, who had a disgruntled expression, glares back at Tris, "I don't know who you think you are talking to, but I'm not one of your little friends. Don't disrespect me."

"I'm talking to the woman who abandoned her own son to save herself," Tris snaps. She turns to Edward and says, "I'm done. Take me back."

David does not say anything else. He holds his hand toward the door, and Edward pulls Nita up, ushering her and Tris out. Evelyn follows and shuts the door behind them.