[25] Bullet-Proof Vests Aren't Just For Show

Start from the beginning

                The sadist inside of me acknowledged this like a kind of Wack-A-Mole game.

                Shoot the hanging men, ten points for a head shot. Five for a rope shot and splattered corpse.

                Two if you got 'em in the leg maybe.

                That part of my brain also realised my panic had worn out, and all that was left was a small portion of rage... and then...

                ...calmness.

                'Get out of the way!' I yelled at the twins, whom had picked up two of their infinite baseball bats and were trying to help.

                As soon as I'd taken my eyes off the men on the roof though, I saw my worst nightmare unfold out of the corner of my eye.

                Time seemed to slow as Tamaki ran across the courtyard, outstretching his arms to his father.

                My head turned so unbearably slow as I saw one of the guys in the window raise his gun.

                I threw down the shotgun, pulling out the handgun and aiming for the attacker.

                His shot however, was already being fired by the time I'd released mine.

                It struck the S.H.A.D.O.W. employee, and just as his helmet exploded, I saw bright red erupt from Tamaki's stomach.

                'No!' I screamed, as time sped up again, and I dropped everything.

                'No!' Honey and the others shouted, but I beat them all to him.

                'Tamaki! Tamaki!' I threw my body down beside him, gathering him to me. 'No!'

                He coughed and spluttered, blood coating his lips. 'A-alex...'

                'N-no!' Tears brimmed in my eyes, and the situation we were in faded away. 'It's just a dream. Just a dream. We're gonna wake up and everything's going to be okay!' I hiccupped, cupping his face in my hands.

                'A-alex... what...' The black shirt darkened even further as it stuck to his stomach, and panic gripped me even more than when we'd figured out the true target.

                'Kyouya!' I screamed, clutching his blonde head to my chest.

                The black-haired boy was already dialling 0-0-0.

                'You!' I could feel Honey's rage from where I was, but paid it no heed. 'You did this to Tama-chan!'

                The fear plastered over the Hitachiin's faces, the Ootari's faces and Mr. Suoh's face registered fleetingly in my mind as sounds faded away.

                I heard screams and yells, thuds and dull sounds, but all I could see was Tamaki.

                'N-no... no, no, no...' I kept repeating as tears streamed down my face.

                He was still trying to form words, but I covered his bloody mouth with one of my hands.

                'Don't sp-peak... you'll l-loose more b-blood...' I stuttered around hiccups, and he tried to raise a hesitant hand to my face.