[09] National Australian Karate Champion

My feet tapped a light beat in the dirt, my hands wrapped around cold, metal chains.

                The swing creaked softly under my weight, and I regarded the local children running around with a sense of detachment.

                They all ran around, sometimes screaming, sometimes laughing, but all avoiding the identical swing beside me. I tried not to take it to heart, they were just kids after all.

                Right.

                Just kids.

                When I was their age, I was sneaking into mansions and posing as a servant, preforming the most daring theft of the century.

                And when I wasn't in the field, I was honing my own physical skills, middle-aged men cowering whenever I glanced their way.

                'Whacha' think?' Haruhi raised a large piece of paper up for me to assess, and I stopped rocking and took it.

                Many tables were drawn around the edge of the rectangle representing the room, a large stage occupying the front of the paper. Lists of bouquets, decorations and other little note adorned the back, and I read through them all carefully.

                I had no clue what any of those things were.

                So I guess I should just...nod.

                I nodded cautiously, handing her back the paper. 'It's good.'

                'Thanks.' She folded it up, leaning back against a tree in relief.

                A silence settled over us, and I started to swing lightly again. My hair ruffled in the breeze, handing down my back unrestrained. I'd borrowed a pair of shorts and a shirt from Haruhi when we dropped in at her place, my shoes and other clothes tucked in my damp bag. I'd also managed to brush it quickly, but had left it hanging down.

                'Hey, Alex-sempai...' Haruhi drifted off.

                'Just Alex.' I murmured. 'But what's up?'

                'Can I ask you a question?' She turned to me, tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear.

                'You just did.' I pointed out in amusement.

                She sighed. 'Well, I'll take that as a yes.'

                'Okay...' I nodded. What was so wrong that she couldn't just ask me outright?

                'Do you and Tamaki-sempai have a thing?' She rushed out.

                I'm sorry, but I think my mind just went into shock.

                Tamaki, and...and me?

                'What, no way! I'm not quite sure that we're even the best of friends! I mean, I've only known you guys for about a week, so how could we have thing? And I only—'

                'Ah-huh.' Haruhi nodded, disbelieving.

                'Well, what about you and Hikaru?' I fired back.

                'What, no way! I'm not quite sure that we're even the best of friends! I—'

                'Don't copy my answer.' I threatened, digging my heels into the dirt as I stopped.