[22] S.H.A.D.O.W.'s Shadows

'Relax...' Tamaki murmured as we spun.

                'Easy for you to say, you're not about to break your ankles in these shoes!' I growled.

                As he'd promised, the entire day had been spent preparing for this ball.

                Part of that preparation though, was ballroom dancing. While I can kinda dance, as it turns out, all grace is thrown out of ten story window when you add a pair of heels to the equation.

                'You might beak my toes though, if you keep purposely stomping on them like that.' The blonde sighed and pulled me closely, twirling our bodies in time to the music.

                'It's what you get for dragging me into this.' I glowered, remembering the embarrassing announcement from before. 'You may be comfortable kissing people you hardly know on the cheek, but I'm not!'

                He looked at me pointedly, before bending his head towards mine.

                'What are you—'

                Soft lips pressed a kiss to my cheek as we moved­­, and he brushed hair off of my forehead.

                'Yes.' He whispered. 'Yes, I would.'

                And still, despite my change of heart towards him, he was telling me he knew nothing about me. Though I was trying to be a better person, I was still subconsciously afraid if someone knew too much about me; got too close to me... they would hurt me irreversibly.

                I didn't need the pain right now.

                I smiled sadly, staring into his eyes. 'I'm sorry...'

                'Don't be sorry, enjoy yourself for tonight. Everything can wait until tomorrow.' He ended his sentence by releasing my waist, spinning me into the arms of another peer as he switched partners.

                A small frown creased my forehead as I watched him dance gracefully with a girl with long brown hair, before focusing my attention on my partner.

                'Fancy meeting you 'round this neck of the woods... Queen.' A voice greeted me.

                I smiled into a pair of gold eyes. 'Same to you, Hitachiin. Which are you?'

                'Kaoru.' He answered, and his eyes darted above my head.

                I turned my face subtly, my blue eyes landing on Haruhi dancing with Hikaru.

                Despite them both being portrayed as 'boys' the girl's all 'kyaaa-ed' and cooed. Except to Kaoru and me it was painfully obvious that the dance wasn't to appease the girls.

                It was to appease themselves.

                'How's the boss going, though?' Kaoru struck up a conversation to end the silence. 'He's treating you good, despite all of the times you heartlessly insult him?'

                I spun, jabbing the point of my heel into the redhead's foot. 'Tamaki doesn't have to be nice.' I stated simply as Kaoru cringed in pain. 'It's not like we're in a relationship.' I raised an eyebrow as he sent me a knowing look.

                'To the rest of us though, you two certainly are—'

                'Switch-y!' I interrupted, leaping off the dance floor as the poor boy was captured by yet another colourful dress.