[08] To Haruhi's House! Or Maybe Not...

My calves screamed in pain as I ran.

                I pushed my body harder, the warmth of agony spreading throughout all of my limbs. My breath came in deep sighs— I refused to pant shallowly.

                Run. I just needed to run it off.

                I pumped my arms faster, slowing only slightly as I rounded the corner. Not many people were out on the streets today—I had free reign.

                It's just a pity you can't outrun run your problems.

                No matter how hard I try too.

                My mind wandered, leaving my body to take me where I needed to go.

                If what those men had said was true...all that I had ever believed in was a lie. The mystery family that I had originally had—they weren't murdered by thugs. If they were telling the truth, the only man I had ever looked up to as a father figure...killed them.

                I refused to let the despair welling on the edges of my mind overflow, instead barricading what was left of my sanity with cold, hard reason.

                The nature of their death didn't change anything—they were still dead.

                I still didn't know them, still didn't know who I was deep down.

                It didn't matter if Jacob had killed them, I couldn't take revenge if he had anyway. He was in the hands of Ootari's private police force.

                Just like Des.

                I snarled, tossing my head as my hair whipped around my face.

                The only person I thought I could trust, he had betrayed me. My best friend had joined the other side, where I would never be accepted. He was probably planning with them right now.

                Probably on my demise.

                My strides slowed and shortened, and I doubled over, leaning against a tree. I pressed my forehead against its cool bark, its rough surface grazing my fingertips.

                Despite telling myself I wouldn't let this get me down, that I wouldn't let it depress me—I could feel it doing just that.

                My mood darkened even further when I glanced up at the horizon and saw it blackening quickly.            

                I didn't regret my decision of getting out of that dump, but I did regret window shopping in the empty mall. It was too early for anybody to have opened their stores yet, so it had been the perfect place for me to fantasise without actually being able to blow money. So all I ever saw were the unattainable beauties that resided there.

                I straightened again, and check my watch.

                If I kept running to Ouran, I'd have an hour to get changed and comfortable while waiting for the guys.

                And girl, of course.

                Sighing, I unclipped my bag and set it on the ground, rummaging around for my water bottle. I had forgotten that I had packed a bag last night, so that one with the one I packed this morning was on my back.