[16] Yeah, This Shit Really Sucks

'W-what?' I stuttered in shock.

           'Well, we don't have many of your expertise, let alone of your experience. So instead of sending you out into that harsh world, we'll continue to raise you here and pay you for your efforts!'

                'B-but...'

                Everything had been torn to ruins.

                Five.

                Years.

                Ever since I was twelve, I had been planning for escape.

                And now...now it had all been for nothing.

              Everywhere I had been sent, Australia, France, Spain, Canada, Mexico... Everyone I had hurt, killed, robbed...their suffering had been for nothing.

                'Of course,' The steel in the voice of the man who'd ruined my life brought me back to the present. 'You need to finish this objective. Stop fooling around Alexandria, and get the dough. Do remember,'

                So this was the man whom ruled the roost.

                Not a caring grandfather...an asshole with a tendency breed criminals. He was just like all the rest, hiding behind his masquerade mask.

                I don't know why I tried to delude myself into thinking he was different.

                'Should you fail, you will be punished. And don't even think about running away,' There was an odd feeling in his voice, similar to that of predatory glee. 'You have been observed getting a bit too...close,' he spat the word with contempt, 'with the target. We wouldn't want you to spoil anything, now would we?' His smile was laced with malice.

                I had danced right into the palm of his hand. Somehow, somewhere, he had discovered my blossoming affection for the little club and put two and two together with the information he already had.

                'Yes sir.' I nodded curtly, my stomach clenching.

                What was I to do now?

                If my stupid emotions weren't getting in the way, I might have just completed this without complaint and bided my time once again for escape.

                But now... now I wasn't so sure.

                I had been given a glimpse of the tenderness and love of a family, and I was unwilling to give it up.

                Even if it meant game-over.

                'There is a perfect opportunity,' he continued, oblivious to the cloud of death and seething rage emanating from me. 'On Thursday, Yuzuru Suoh is hosting a business meeting at the Academy. Not only will he be there, but so will other wealthy families. That would be your time to strike.'

                'Yes sir.'

                'Also, it is within our best interests that you travel with an escort.'

                Escort? Ha, don't make me laugh.

                'Yes sir.' I said again instead, knowing that having an escort was exactly the same to having a group of keepers.