[07] Not-Double-Agents And A Rewriting Of The Past

'What? No! Soon I'll wake up and find that this was all just some bad dream! And that Jack is still alive and kicking, that I just fell asleep on my homework—' I cried franticly, rolling around on the hard ground of the empty conference room.

                'Alex.' Des spoke softly. 'This isn't a dream, this is the truth. Now please, sit down so we can talk about it calmly.'

                'Calmly? Calmly?' I lay on my back staring at the ceiling, my eyes wide. 'I've just been fucking told that my best friend and boss are working for Ootari! Kyouya Ootari! And a friend to my bloody objective target!'

                'It's going to be alright.' A different voice sounded from the doorway, and I sat bolt upright.

                Mother-fucking Supervisor.

                'You—you are trying to tell me it's going to be alright?' I screeched, throwing up and hands and falling back onto the floor.

                'Keep your mouth shut.' Supervisor told me sternly. 'You are the only one we have revealed this too, and we except you too guard the information with your life.'

                'Well, not exactly her life—' Des started to speak.

                'Whoop-de fucking-do!' I exclaimed. 'So what are you going to do? Drag me off to throw me into jail for breaking the law?'

                'Alex—' Des tried to moderate.

                'It's not as much breaking the law but working in conjunction with terrorists.' Supervisor murmured to himself.

                'Fuck. Just what I bloody well need to know!' I whimpered, rolling over to muffle my face in the carpet.

                'Look we—' Des tried again.

                'Stop acting like a baby, Alexandria!' Supervisor snapped, stalking over to me. 'We aren't about to drag you back to our commander by your hair!'

                'Supervisor, really—'

                'Lucky me!' I yelled back, glaring darkly at him as I leapt to my feet. 'Yeah, all that's gonna happen is my mother-fu—'

                'Stop cutting me off!' Des roared, and we both fell silent, blinking owlishly. 'Both of you need to calm it, or you'll bring the entire compound down upon us. Even Kyouya himself doesn't know about our positions yet.' He growled.

                'Sorry.' We muttered. I'd never seen Des like this. He was always the boy I had protected when we were kids, the boy who'd let me draw on him when I ran out of paper.

                This new Des, this irate one, was much different to what I knew.

                'You're supposed to be one of the big bosses around here,' I focused my attention back on Supervisor when I realised Des wasn't going to say anything else. 'But you're working for the other team?'

                'No, not really.' Supervisor reached behind his head to scratch the back of his neck, and the sleeve of his shirt lifted up.

                Hang on...

                I leapt on him while he was vulnerable, throwing him to the ground and pinning his chest and legs to the floor as I knelt on him.